1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need help deleting a video

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by tdekany, Jan 9, 2012.

1. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks for reading it - I took my first video today - just around the house, uploaded it to the laptop, watched it all is fine - Tried to delete it but I get a message first that says: "this image cannot be played" and the lcd is black. when I try to delete it, the second screen says: "some pictures cannot be deleted" shows on the screen. Any way to delete the video from the card? I can take pictures and delete them. Any ideas?

2. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Format the card.

3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks! I was taking a bath and thought - what if I formatted the card? I guess I picked up on your post.

PS: do we know why I am having this issue? Do I have to format each time I want to delete a video?

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks! I was taking a bath and thought - what if I formatted the card? I guess I picked up on your post.

PS: do we know why I am having this issue? Do I have to format each time I want to delete a video?

5. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    It's a (mis)feature of the AVDH spec. Instead of storing the entire video in one file, the video data is in one file (or a series if you take a really long video that ends up being too long for a single file), and the info and thumbnail and stuff are in the other files under the PRIV/ directory. See AVCHD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for what is what.

Also Panny isn't too smart about how it handles "broken" videos. Instead of having delete clean up the remnants, it balks and doesn't delete anything. Panny designer thinks you will only delete videos using the camera, or their software. Just going to the card and deleting that big file is not supported.

You'll also soon discover another (mis)feature of AVHD: file numbering will restart at 00000 once you delete videos.

6. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks very much for the explanation. However file numbering haven't changed on this camera. :confused:

7. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Then consider yourself lucky. The GF1 restarts video numbering at 00000 once I delete all videos. It's annoying since I use rsync to empty the card automatically once it is inserted into my computer. I have to manually fixup the video names so there aren't collisions.

8. mumu

mumu New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2012
    Sounds like you deleted the video file but not its ancillary files such as the thumbnail and other one(s).

Formatting, as you've discovered, will take of the problem. So will deleting the video-related folders (ie: everything in Private).

You could probably delete just the files for a particular video, too.

For this video file: \PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM\00000.mts

Delete it as well as these files:
    \PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV\CLIPINF\00000.cpi
    \PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV\PLAYLIST\00000.mpl

That might work. I'm not if you need to worry about the index files in the other directories.

BTW I with the others about the fact that you can't stop the video files from starting their numbering at 00000. Very annoying.

• Like Like x 1