Need help deciding which lens to get next.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by colbycheese, Jul 8, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I have had some trouble deciding what lens i should get. each will cost me around 150-190. I am deciding between getting a legacy Canon FD 24mm f/2.8, Konica Hexanon 40mm f/1.8 or the native Sigma 30mm. all of these are in the price range of 150-190 as i said above. I am having trouble just picking one. Could some one help me out? Thank you

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    What do you want to take pictures of and what lenses do you have?

3. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    The Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8 can be found much cheaper. I don't think I've ever seen one for more than £50 on eBay. They're usually nearer £30.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't see why you'd ever put an old 24mm f2.8 on the camera when your gear list says you already have the 25mm f1.4. Same story with the Sigma 30mm f2.8. It's a nice lens, but the 25mm f1.4 is just magic and two stops faster.

The 40mm f1.8 might offer something a tiny bit different, but it certainly should not cost you $150. And you have 2 50mm lenses already. 40 and 50 aren't so different I'd worry about owning them both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I see what you are saying about the 25mm Panny. Everyone always raves about the quality of the 25mm but ever since i got the 20mm, the 25mm leaves something to be desired. It seems very soft open and doesnt get better till f/4. Even then it's still not as sharp as the panny 20mm at f/2.8 in my opinion. Also i can't find any hexanons cheaper. It seems the price has gone up since i last looked around a few months ago.

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think the Olympus 25mm is more consistent across the frame than the PL. The PL is all about light gathering, bokeh and acceptable centre sharpness IMO, not across the frame sharpness.

7. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Ya i was also considering doing this but then i would have to wrry about selling the Panasonic first then grabbing the the oly 25. Also 20 and 25mm are too close, this is why i was considering purchasing the 30mm sigma and selling the panasonic.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You aren't going to get wide open sharpness on an old lens, that is for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    If your 25 is not sharp until f/4 you should take it back/return it. If that is not an option and you sell it you should disclose that fact. Soft wide open is not expected performance.

10. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    contradictory to this statement is my Helios 44m. Wide open the sharpness is comparable to the kit lens stopped down.

11. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    i decided to give my 25mm panny another chance since i havent used it in a while. At f/2.8 it becomes decently sharp, maybe as sharp as the 20mm wide open. Based on this i think my best bet out of the 3 is probably the 40mm. I dont have anything in that range and when on a m43 camera the focal length becomes 80, which is 20 different than a 50mm. In my opinion it is porbably my best option.

12. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I would sell the P25mm and use the 20mm in its place. Then, just pay up a little more and get the native Oly 45 /1.8. This will be far superior to the 40mm legacy glass and much easier to use. They are 299 new. Used prices should be lower of course.

With this, you will have two nice primes with enough difference in focal length to cover a wide range of scenarios.

13. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I would send the P25 to Panasonic or another service to have a look and calibration. Yes, it gets better at f4, but the P20 does too.

I agree that no cheap adapted lens is going to give you better results wide open.

14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I tend to agree with the others. I like my Super Takumar 50mm/1.4 for specific uses, but it's also got 2/3 of a stop advantage compared to the native 42.5/45 lenses, and is nearly as sharp when stopped down. I have sometimes considered buying a 40mm/1.8, but it's definitely not sharp wide open, so it at least has some practical advantages. Unless you can find one for well under $100, I wouldn't consider the 40mm/1.8 since it's got basically no advantage over the native lenses. A used 45/1.8 should be pretty cheap, and useful.

You've also got a focal reducer, don't you? In that case, why not use your 58/f2 with it, then you'll have a 40mm/f1.4 that you already own? That's the other reason why I could never justify the 40mm/1.8 in the cold light of day, because my 50/1.4 becomes a 36/1.0 with the focal reducer.

15. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Actually I think your best option would be to hold off right now, save up just a little bit and find a nice used Oly45mm