Need help choosing lenses for newborn photography!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LUViNGMAMA, Sep 8, 2012.

LUViNGMAMA New to Mu-43

Sep 8, 2012
    Hi there!,

I'm looking to buy my first (two?) lenses. I'm getting into newborn photography (family, children, maternity, etc as well).

I'm looking at what would be my main go-to lens for the job. From what I hear 50mm is the most popular choice. So the Panasonic Leica 25mm is in the forefront of my mind, but the 45mm m.zuiko has also been suggested to me a LOT.

Would these two lenses be a good buy together? I want to do indoor studio type with artificial lighting as well as natural light, but I also want to do outdoor shoots as well.

Opinions? Advice?
  2. melonbread

melonbread Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I have the 45mm m.zuiko and it takes absolutely stunning portrait shots! You should check out the 45mm thread on this forum, and see what you think of the photos it produces :)

LUViNGMAMA New to Mu-43

Sep 8, 2012
    I'll go check it out!!! Also glad to hear :D I've heard amazing things about the 45mm. Do you think it's well enough to do portrait shoots in a small area? How far would I need to be away from the subject to get nice shots?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    It depends on size of subject, desired DOF, etc. I take fine cat portraits in small rooms, e.g., 9x10'.

Sent from my phone, pardon my brevity.
  5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I love the PL 25 as an "environmental portrait" lens! The PL25 and O45 together will give you a great 1-2 punch for indoor photos in natural light. I've also found that the PL25 images hold up well to cropping, particularly when used with one of the new sensor cameras (GX1, G5, E-M5).
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I Coredelia ..
    As already suggeted .. PL25 and Oly 45 mm 1.8 should be on the top of ur list . Having said that Oly 75 mm 1.8 should be a perfect solution as it will give u some more space to shoot and it wont intimidate kids .
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Oly 45 should be #1 for this IMO.

LUViNGMAMA New to Mu-43

Sep 8, 2012
    Definitely excited for the 45 now, as well as the 25. I think both would benefit me greatly!!
  9. david6785

david6785 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 27, 2012
    las vegas
    I think the sigma 30 is a fantastic lense for general use and portraits. I really like the 45 and 25 but for 200 I find this lense to be stellar! I found the 45 a little to long for me and the 25 to expensive right now. I just got into micro 43 with the g5, 20mm 1.7 and the sigma 30. I couldn't be more happy!
  10. limdoug

limdoug Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I'm in the same boat as you so thank you for asking this question. I'm leaning towards the same two lenses as you with the 45mm coming first.
  11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    The perfect pair of lenses - you can't go wrong. :cool:
  12. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
    You can't go wrong w/ both i have the 45mm f1.8 for my indoor portraits if lighting isn't a issue i've seen some oly 17mm f2.8 portraits as well..
  13. jff1625

jff1625 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    yeah if you can afford both it's basically a no brainer. Altho another way to go might be the Pany 20mm, which is a lot cheaper, and maybe a bit sharper, but also more clinical and less characterful than the 25. And the Pany 45 which doubles as a macro if you're into that sort of thing, but is a fair bit more spendy, and heavy, than the Oly 45.