1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Need Help Buying MD to Mu43 Adaptor

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by retiredfromlife, Aug 6, 2016.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    I am about to buy an adaptor to try my old Minolta film lenses on my olympus E-P5

Mainly looking at two from Rainbow Imagaing but not sure which one to buy. If possible I would like one with a tripod mount built in as hanging these old lenses off the camera on a tripod maybe too heavy for the camera mount.

This one seems to be the one they sell most of and the brand was mentioned in one of the topics here.

Minolta MD lens to M43 MFT Adapter Olympus E-M5 E-M5 Mark II E-M10 E-PM2 E-PM1

The one below same brand but possibly with some sort of Olympus tripod mount, they have not sold many of these so not sure if it is an adaptor with some sort of mount or a maount for the adaptor. They call it "Minolta MD lens to M43 MFT Camera Adapter Tripod Ring Olympus"

Minolta MD lens to M43 MFT Camera Adapter Tripod Ring Olympus

Also found this one, no brand, looks nice and comes with a mount
    Minolta MD MC Lens to Micro 4/3 M4/3 Mount Adapter with Tripod Mount G3 GF3 E-P3
    Minolta MD MC Lens to Micro 4/3 M4/3 Mount Adapter with Tripod Mount G3 GF3 E-P3

Any opinions on which to get?

Regards

2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I have the Fotasy. It works fine. There really isn't much to these. Choose your favorite. It will work well.

3. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    What do you think the second one is, the Fotasy with the tripod mount. It mentions Olympus but since all tripod sockets are the same not sure what they mean. I gather the second one is not just the tripod mount for the Fotasy mount, but a mount with some sort of tripod mount for Olympus.

Regards

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, the one with the tripod mount also mentions Panasonic in the description.

Most of the Rokkor lenses don't weigh much more than 1kg, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  5. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    Don't pay any attention to the Olympus, model names of Olympus and model names of panasonic cameras in the description. The seller is just trying to get more search hits on compatible cameras. Its not a compatability thing, the only compatibility you have to worry about is M43 MFT Micro 4/3 M4/3 they put all these in there hoping to get more search its also.
    They should all work. I've bought OM-system and Four-thirds adapters.
    I've used Fotasy, Rainbow imaging, FOTGA and others. But if you want a tripod mount, make sure that's described clearly, most don't have one.
    Non-electronic ones for like the MD I'm guessing should be around $20 or so, lots of price competition for a very generic product.
    When you get it make sure all the screws are recessed in the flange area before mounting and the finish is good.
    Here's one at Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/RainbowImaging-Minolta-Adapter-Olympus-
    Panasonic/dp/B003GRHBEM

Try googling "minolta to Micro four thirds adapter tripod mount"
    Good luck, happy adapting.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    What Ichien said. There's no Oly or Pany specific tripod standard.

7. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    I bought Fotasy and it works well

8. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    I ordered the version with the tripod mount, thanks for all the advice.
    Looking forward to getting this, never thought I would use my old lenses again.

Regards

9. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    What lens do you have?

10. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    From memory, not sure about the aperture sizes though.
    I have a 50mm 1.8, 45mm, maco bellows set not sure what lens size, two sigma series 1 zooms, and one tamron zoom. Plus extension tubes etc. Maybe others not sure.

Problem is these have been packed away for years. The only one I have out is the 50mm with a SRT 101b body as I used to shoot some B&W film and develop it myself.

I will have to dig them all out to see what exactly I have.

Regards