1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Need help - brand new E-PM1 not seeing the lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jmacleve, Aug 12, 2013.

1. jmacleve

jmacleve New to Mu-43

Aug 12, 2013
    I just removed my brand new e-pm1 from the box and assembled it. I went around and shot some garbage stuff just to get the hang of it. Brought it back to my desk (this is a work camera) and now the screen is black and when I look at firmware, it doesn't see the lens. I didn't drop it, bang it or do anything obvious.

Any suggestions (other than calling the store I brought it from and sending it back)?

Thanks. I did some Googling and don't see any other complaints, so I wonder if I pushed a button and messed something up...

2. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Strange that it happened AFTER you shot some images. Did you remove and replace the lens? Sometimes the contacts on the lenses do not line up properly with the body's contacts. Try either twisting the lens a bit or removing it completely and re-attaching it. If that does not work, try cleaning the contacts with a small amount of alcohol on a small cloth/swab.

3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    All you have to do is wiggle the lens til the LCD goes off black. I also see this on my OMD and certain Oly lenses that have a tight fit.

Lens isn't fully seated. There's a pin on the camera side of the lens mount that locks into a matching recess on the lens. With lens removed, push the lens release button and you will see the pin move in and out.

If this pin isn't allowed to pop out, the camera electronics blanks out the screen. If you turn the camera on with no lens mounted (it does not harm the camera), you will see the LCD brighten up with the light. Push the release button and the LCD goes black.