Need buying advise

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by 369, Feb 10, 2010.

1. 369

369 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    I did not look into the 4/3 systems until the epl-1 was announced because the others are very expensive. This new epl-1 is at least a little less expensive.

I want a new camera and want some inputs from 4/3 users. I need a cam for taking family pics, social events, indoor parties, travel documenting. I was wondering apart from the kit lens that will come with the epl-1, what other lenses can be used, I need to know if there are sharp lenses which don't cost a lot can be used with it or not. Price range between $50 - $150 from ebay etc.

can someone list these lenses compatible with this camera and also using adapters.

The other camera I am interested are some of the recently announced compact super- zoom like sony hx5v, canon sx 210 IS, panny zs7. how would these camera compare against the epl-1.

thanks

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The compact superzooms have the smallest sensors of any class of dedicated digital camera. For example, the hx5v which you mentioned has a 1/2.4" sensor. What they give you is tremendous zoom range and portability, but the image quality with that class of cameras is not going to be nearly as good as the image quality with the EP-L1.

As for your other question, the 14-42mm kit lens which comes with the EP-L1 is versatile and performs well. It doesn't get the greatest reviews, but it is plenty sharp. For $50-150, there are some good and sharp lenses which can be used via adapter. That would be worth asking in our adapted lens forum. Many of the f/1.8 manual focus normals (Olympus OM 50/1.8, Nikon 50/1.8 AI/AIS, etc) can be had for that much or less and ought to perform very well when stopped down a bit.