Need another battery for my E-M10

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by colbycheese, Jul 11, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I need to purchase another battery for my e-m10 because the battery life with the included battery is horrible. I have heard people say its bad to buy third party batteries from ebay or amazon. What is the worst thing that could happen using these batteries, also a lot of them come with their own charger but how can you know if it can charge with the stock battery because carrying around 2 chargers is a pain in the butt. EDIT: I found these that say the work with the olympus charger. Does anyone know if these are any good? It says genuine but how can you know?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Genuine-Olym...509?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f37336815

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    In the U.S., Progo and Wasabi batteries have good reputations.

My 2 Progos for my E-M1 have become swollen after more than a year of use (and tens of thousands of images taken).
    If swelling occurs, it's during charging, so it's not hazardous to the camera.

I went ahead and bought another pair as the price is so good ($15/2 or $25 with a great travel charger) .

The Progo distributor in Ontario, California sells direct on eBay and Amazon.

The Progos will charge in the Oly charger, but not completely full.

I shoot so much when traveling that I need 2 chargers, so I carry the Oly and Progo chargers.

Barry

3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    There's a new battery available from Olympus. It has a larger capacity than the original E-M10 battery. Look on the Oly website under the Stylus 1s (I think). It uses the same battery.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've using Wasabi or Wasabi Tech (WT) for years without any issues. I'm not sure if they last as long or longer than OEM, never really tried to determine.

5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    The new battery from Olympus that fits both the Stylus 1s and E-M10 is the BLS-50 Li-ion. It will replace the former BLS-5 battery used in several of the PEN series cameras. It's 7.2V, 1210mAh.

6. deltakilo

deltakilo Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2014
    Perth, Australia
    Dennis
    Duracell do a BLS-5 clone as well which is supposed to work in the original Oly charger. Got a couple the other day but am yet to try them out. Given that there's a well known brand name involved, one hopes that the reliability and performance is there.

7. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I have had great luck using the Watson brand batteries from B&H. Just a thought.

8. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I like the Watson in my E-M10 until mine stopped holding a charge after almost exactly one year. It is so much cheaper than OEM, though.

9. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Thanks for the head's up. I have about 3 more months then to see if it can hold up.

10. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    Are you saying battery life is poor with the genuine Olympus battery, but you want to try third party options? I think most 3rd party batteries compete on price, not quality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I charge a Polaroid battery using the Oly charger all the time. No problems or complaints after more than 10 months.

12. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
  13. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    I bought this battery a few weeks ago: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004SFWZD8
    So far it's been pretty similiar to the standard battery, charges normally in the stock charger and also shows remaining battery life correctly. Too soon to say anything about longevity, but it has good reviews :)

14. Gary_Berg

Gary_Berg Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2012
    I was looking for bls-5 or 50 and I was going to jump on the Wasabi battery as I've had good luck with them in the past. However, on Amazon, it appears that a number of people have had trouble with these batteries swelling, one guy said he had to drive a screw into his battery to pull it out of his camera.

I've seen a comment her about a Duracell replacement; where can I buy this?

I'd really rather not shell out $56+ for the Olympus brand battery, but it starts to look better the more I look.

Even the B&H Watson batteries at $20 are expensive enough to make me consider OEM.

15. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    With the poor quality of the ebay photo, it's hard to tell that is a original Olympus battery. Better to show the label too. He probably doesn't show it because the label will show it's a genuine battery from 2012, i.e, so out of date that the wholesaler got rid of them.. Some people think that's too old. I think it's OK. The genuine batteries that came with my cameras are older than that and still work. Meanwhile, most of the copies I buy have swollen up after a year, Progos for the EM5 being an exception.

16. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Personally, I wouldn't touch a 3rd party brand. Why spend all that money on nice bodies and lenses and stick some unknown cheap battery into it. It's like buying a Rolls Royce and running it on the cheapest low octane fuel you can find! Buy Olympus and support them !

Be thankful you don't have to buy Kodachrome :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I disagree with the previous sentiment. I have third party spare for most of the cameras I've used. Longevity is about the same, sometimes even better, than the OEM, and there's no real risk. These are hardly complicated batteries.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  18. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Please note I said I wouldn't personally buy a 3rd party battery and I wont .... Just not worth the risk. Good luck to anyone who does:)