1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Need an objective "checklist" for keeping lenses...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by McBob, Feb 9, 2013.

1. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    ...so I'm curious if anybody has one.

I'm a packrat, and have way too much stuff. While I've resolved to pare down, this is the sort of stuff I agonize over, my "hoarding" behaviour if it were.

Anyway...

I've a bevy of lenses, and naturally I can see a use in all of them... but don't use all of them to their fullest by any stretch. If I had to pick only a core group, it would be easy... but some of my ancillary lenses (P7-14, Sigma 50-500, Summilux-R 35) are worth a lot of coin, yet VERY VERY nice to use when they're necessary. Some of those legacy lenses simply don't get much use, but I can't seem to justify their sale because they aren't worth much and don't take up much room (Nikon 70-210/4-5.6, SMC Macro-Tak 100/4, many many others).

So when it comes to selling off equipment, how to do you go about making those decisions?

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I give my unused stuff away to family and friends, (as opposed to selling), even a few here at ยต4/3 who have a bit of a hardship.

Gary

3. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    I'm paring down in part to some mild hardship, so giving it away wasn't on my list...

and NO, I'm not asking for free stuff ;D

4. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    McBob, give your self 6 months to a year and keep track of what you've been drawn to use in that time period. Then get ruthless about it and make the cut.

I've held onto stuff for way too long. It felt freeing once I got rid of it and soon I couldn't remember what it was I got rid of.

For stuff slated for sale, I made a secondary cut when I looked at the potential value of selling versus what I thought my time was worth. It became easy to dispose of it.

5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I'm terrible at this myself, but the times I have unloaded some gear this is what has worked for me:

1) Be honest with myself and admit: what lenses am I not using, and especially which ones am I realistically unlikely to carry and use? For example, the 14-140mm, 14mm pancake, 7.5mm FE, and 9-18mm lenses were all lenses I liked just fine and had some good shots with, but they were consistently not making it into the camera bag. The fisheye in particular was a cool lens, but I realized I couldn't figure out when I would actually carry it over another lens choice in the bag.

2) Start selling. I find as soon as I bite the bullet and start selling off one or two items, it becomes much easier to part with more. Much like how east it becomes to 'packrat' gear, I find it works the same way with clearing out the unused stuff, so it's taking that first step that's the hardest.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Possibly the 'best' way to go about this is to a) look at all of the pictures you've taken and determine which lens was used and b) look at the subsection of your favorite pictures and determine which lens was used.

I mean, if you don't take many pics with a lens, but your favorite shots are consistently taken with that lens, that tells you two things: 1) don't sell the lens, and 2) use it more.

7. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Every time I try this, it backfires on me... I end up finding one of my favorite shots was taken with a lens and can't bear to sell it, no matter how little I find myself using it :tongue:

That's why I still have my Oly 12mm, keep thinking I'll sell it since I use the 12-35mm much more often. Even got as far as listing it for sale once... then I remember the handful of absolute favorite shots I've gotten with it and back it goes in the bag, hahah!

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The only reason you don't use a particular lens ... is because you choose not to use that particular. Next time you go out leave the 12-70 and take the 12mm. Unless your working for a client, then be prudent. Oh hell, even if your working leave the 12-35 and take the 12mm. Used to do crap like that all the time. You know being young, stupid ana bet.

WG-Football-UE-XL.
    Here's a shot of a football game with a 28mm.

G

• Like Like x 1
  10. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Oh yeah, that's about the only way I end up using my 12mm is if I purposely set out to use it that day. In fact, come to think of it every time I got one of those favorite shots with the 12mm that's exactly how it came about. Been doing the same thing lately with a 28mm on my D800 too... sometimes it's good to take a break from the zooms :thumbup:

11. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I used to use what I had. I now have the luxury to use what I please. I try to police myself, but I always keep one lens I don't need so I don't ever have the need to buy/keep a second lens I'm not using. I hope that makes sense.

If I'm looking at picking up something new it had better replace something I already have. I currently have:

PL25 f/1.4
    PL45 f/2.8
    SMC 55 f/2
    Minolta MC Rokkor 58 f/1.4
    P45-150