Need Advise About Sigma 19mm F2.8 Art

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by rezatravilla, Jan 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Hi all,

I am thinking to sell my 12-50mm since it's rarely use and i prefer prime lenses.

Already have Panaleica 25mm and Sigma 60mm Art. Honestly speaking Sigma 60mm really gives me a fantastic result with reasonable price.

I wonder if the Sigma 19mm also too. What is the difference between the 19mm old and the new art? in my country, there is this used lens (the old 19mm Sigma, not the art) and the price also cheap about US$100.

Regards,

Reza

2. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    According to most reviews, there's only a cosmetic difference.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Yes, optically they are the same I believe.

4. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    Not as sharp as the 60 but still very good. You might also consider the P20mm f1.7 used (if you can find one where you are). Focus is not as bad as most people make it out to be and the 1.7 aperture is great for bokeh effects. I had both and ended up selling the 19mm Sigma.

5. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    The Sigma 19mm is a nice lens, for shure. But keep in mind: it´s a 19mm f2.8. The 2 other lenses are really great in terms of bokeh. But @ 19mm you have limitations based on physics.

I did a couple of investigations recently which you will find in my blog entries referring to these lenses:

µ43 for Photographic Beginners Part 4: Sigma 19mm f2.8 A

µ43 for Photographic Beginners Part 5: Sigma 60mm f2.8 A

µ43 for Photographic Beginners Part 6: The comparison of the Sigma´s

First Experiences with the Summilux 1:1,4 25mm lens on the LUMIX G6

I do have the Panaleica 15mm f1.7: If you can afford it: It offers much more bokeh....

6. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    If I were you and already have the 25mm f1.4, I don't know that I'd really be looking at the Sigma 19mm based purely on focal length and max aperture. Sure its a little wider than the 25mm, but in practice I find that isn't a whole lot. If you're looking to replace your 12-50 with a prime, why not look at something more toward the wide end of that zoom, like the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 or the Olympus 17mm f2.8, both of which can be found pretty cheaply?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    My brief experience with the Sigma 19/2.8 on m43 was that is was nice, not as sharp as the Sigma 30. That said, I think a used P20/1.7 will be a lot nicer and much closer IQ-wise to what you are used to with the PL25 and S60. If what you after is a WA option then I would look at the P14/2.5 instead.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I've owned both the Sigma 19/2.8 original and Art lens - there is no difference in capability or optical performance between the two.

They are both very good lenses - the 19mm focal length is my favorite for m4/3 - I find 14mm and 17mm just a bit too wide and 25mm just a bit too narrow.

I've also owned the Panasonic 20/1.7 and find the focusing to be very slow compared to the 19/2.8. In real world use, I attained similar results between the two when stopped down to f/4 to f/5.6.

Lately, my Sigma 19/2.8 Art has just been sitting in my bag while I exploit my newly-acquired 45/1.8 and BCL9.

I could actually use the 12-50 and would be open to a trade. What country are you in?

• Like Like x 1
  9. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    While I read lots of valid points here, I'd (in this case only) not concur with the recommendation of the Panasonic 20mm. I love that lens personally, but its FOV is not that much wider than that of the 25mm. If you're looking for a wide-angle solution, I don't think either lens (the 20mm or the 19mm) will give you really a lot more. I own the 20mm and the Olympus 25mm, and while the 20mm gives me great images quality and a different look from the 25mm (which is really a fantastic lens, btw.), the impression it gives is rather neutral, not really that of a wide-angle. That's got its upsides - it's a great single-lens solution, for one. But if you prefer a more dynamic image, I don't think it'll give you that - and truth be told, neither will the otherwise quite nice 19mm. If you should go for the 14mm or 17mm (f/2.8) is not for me to judge because I don't own those lenses, but as a (moderately) wide and still quite affordable lens, I can recommend the 17mm f/1.8. It's not quite as sharp and optically impressive as either the 20mm or your 25mm (or mine, for the matter), but it's a nice lens to shoot with. The 19mm is a bit tight by comparison, and also quite big. Again, that's not to say the 19mm is a bad lens or even a bad choice - it's just not a lens that seems very desirable, regarding your present setup.

M.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    That's my alternative! pana 14mm :biggrin:
    It's just there is a good bargain for the sigma 19 actually (US$100). But the market price of 14mm were not so different. Will considered it. Thanks a lot @ean10775@ean10775

11. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Thanks @MoonMind@MoonMind i think i will go to 14mm :th_salute:

12. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Thanks everyone for the advises. Really appreciate it.

This made up my mind to take the 14mm instead :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  13. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    28mm-e is quite a versatile focal length once you get the hang of it - and it's definitely a wide-angle FOV. I liked the 14mm when I was able to shoot with it a couple of years back - small, yet very handy and fast in operation. The reason I didn't get one for myself was that I already had the 12mm at that time. The 14mm needs stopping down to be at its best, though, but if you can get one at a reasonable price, it's definitely worth it.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  14. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    to augment your 14mm Panasonic, if you have a spare $100 to throw around the GWC-1 makes a great "extra" to keep. I use my 14mm and my 20mm on my GF camera (as I like not only the form factor but the image quality is good too) and the GWC-1 can just be whipped out and put on for those times when you want the equivalent of a 21mm lens.

15. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    At about $150 used, the 14mm is a great value. It's the smallest prime lens and is built solidly. It takes some very good pictures. I traded it in for the Olympus 12mm because I wanted a wider wide lens.

Having never tried the 19mm Sigma, I would still opt for the 20mm f1.7 panasonic as it is almost as wide and much faster and of higher optical quality.

You have 12mm covered already. If you are looking for a faster prime, you probably won't be happy with the f2.5 aperture of the 14mm.