Need advice on which lenses to keep

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, May 4, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I thought I had this figured out but...

I want to sell off some of my legacy lenses. I have done a coupe of purges already but with my recent vision problems legacy lenses are becoming less and less useful to me. Also, layoffs continue at work (my wife has been cut to half time starting in September) so I figured I have a few things I could sell off and not miss...plus I could use the money elsewhere.

I have the following...

Olympus PEN-F 40/1.4
    Olympus PEN-F 100/3.5
    Super Takuamr SMC 50/1.4
    Super Takumar 35/3.5
    Helios 44-M
    Vivitar 70-210/3.5 (Kiron version)
    Voigtlander 50/3.5 (off an old Bessamatic)

If you we're going to keep only 2-3 lenses what would they be? I also have a Panasonic 20 and 14-45 if that matters. My instinct is to keep the Olympus 40, Helios 44 and the Vivitar. That said, I realize I could sell off the Olympus 40 and make almost as much as I would selling off everything else.

2. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Decided to keep them all...life's too short.

3. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    good choice Dixeyk! lens hoarding isn't bad at all:wink:

4. That was a quick change of heart. Do you use them all? I think your Pen 40 and Helios would be my two favourites out of those.

5. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Lucky penguin the helios 44 it depends on the version , the latest version are great on M4/3 ( i am actually hunting for one) the one i had 44 M4 and earlier will not have enough resolving power , you can still get good pictures but nothing astonishing as on the APS-C or full frame.

I would keep the S tak 50 1.4

6. I think the version I had was a 44M-4, although I sold it a while back together with a Zenit 12XP SLR.

7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The change of heart came from the news of the death of someone I had been following through their blog (from cancer). It was not unexpected but reminded me not to obsess over small stuff. It's especially poignant as I was diagnosed just prior and his writing on the subject helped me quite a lot when I was going through my treatment. Just a few days after I passed my 50th (and in my 9th year of being cancer free) he passes.

I hugged my son, kissed my wife and went out and took some pictures.

• Like Like x 2
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Amen brother. Health and peace to you.

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    It's easy to get wrapped up in the little stuff. We just need to remind ourselves that as fun as our pursuits are to use they are not life and death. I remember when I first heard the words "I think you have cancer". I remember sitting alone not knowing what to do.

Those days taught me a lot about what's important in life.

10. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    that barely took you 11 hrs to decide that. good call on keeping them. i don't think i could ever let one go.

11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I'm happy that you've been cancer free for nine years. I pray for your continued health and that they will give all the hours back to your wife. Or maybe she will get another even better job!

Glad you are getting to enjoy all those lenses! :)

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree with you on all points :biggrin: