1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Need Advice on what to do with my New (used) E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by KBeezie, Jan 9, 2015.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I haven't really chimed in on the forums for a while mainly because I haven't really been acquiring any new equipment of the sort. For nearly four years I been using an Olympus E-P3 which I still have and still works (And is actually better condition in my opinion than the E-M5 I just got).

As I remember B&H observes jewish holidays and hours, so I know I probably won't hear anything back from them until maybe monday or tuesday, but I sent them an email anyways.

I got this E-M5 from their used department with an item ranking of 8+ which is basically "Shows moderate wear or finish marks", which I figured for the lowest price I could find with a ranking like that from a reputable store I've bought from before (never bought anything used on there, but plenty of new stuff), would be a pretty good deal. The description didn't seem to describe much other than what came with it and features (ie: body only, battery/charge, cables and strap).

But when I opened it up I noticed there seems to be an odd brown film on parts of it, sort of like when you play with super-glue and you touch something and you leave a little spot on the surface that you can't remove unless you try to scratch it off. Then over by the mode dial it was much clearer that something was on the camera, most obviously there.

Seems like at every seam around the top chassis of the camera and viewfinder/hot-shoe mound that there appears to be a brown crusty sort of epoxy along the seams. As well as a couple small dents (corner of the EVF mound on front, small dent over by the top left corner of the body, about 5 little dents into the bottom of the eye-cup as if pull down with pliers maybe, either that or someone was lightly chewing on it), and mounting some of my lens has more of a metal/scrape to it, not enough to be alarming but enough to make it seem like it's been thru more than the E-P3 I been using constantly for 4 years.

So far it seems to be functional and working, but I'm not sure if I should be concerned about all that brown that appears to have grown out of the seams (kind of hard to say it "leaked" out, but I guess it could have as it was drying if it is glue). Like for example if they may have an impact on the camera's weather sealing capability.

Anywho, without further ado, some pictures of the areas:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do want to keep it since I haven't upgraded my E-P3 in forever but I don't feel like it's an 8+ like it was advertised for the price they were asking. But I'm trying to decide if I should try to work out some kind of partial refund for the condition, or if the sealing may lead to worse problems and just return it, and just save up for either an E-M5 or E-M10.

Edit - Additional Pictures after wiping it down some more with a micro-fibre cloth

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And screenshot from Bing Cache.

Original Url which shows as unavailable due to being sold with most information removed.

Cached URL from Bing Search

[​IMG]

And they didn't send the flash unit that was advertised as being included in the box on the same page.

2. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Return that turkey. No way that's an 8+. I'm shocked B&H would advertise it that way, they are usual very trustworthy.

If you don't return it, it will always gnaw At you.

There are tons of em5s out there for insanely cheap prices on the used forums. Get your money back, buy a minty used one from someone with a good feedback score, and be happy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Any of them $380? That's what that one was.

4. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    I haven't been keeping up with the em5 sale threads since I already have one, but it seems to me like I have seen several under $400 in good condition, either on here or Fred Miranda.

That brown stuff is weird.. I wonder if someone opened the camera up for repair and used some weird glue when dealing it again. Strange...

• Like Like x 1
  5. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing

I forgot about good ol' FM... been a while.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Definite return!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Looks like rusty... I wonder where was that come from?

8. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Uck... that's hideous. B&H should be ashamed that their used department couldn't even be bothered to try and clean it up. My fear would be that anyone that lets their gear get into that condition did not care for it. What else has it suffered in its lifetime? As soon as the E-M5ii is announced next month, the prices for the E-M5's are likely to take some substantial hits. I wouldn't care what the price or shutter count was, I wouldn't keep something that looks abused and is covered in goop - it's bruises will show themselves over time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    It almost looks like rust to me. Am I the only one who thinks that?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yep, does look like rust. Whatever it is, doesn't belong there :).

• Like Like x 1
  11. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Though rust doesn't leave a film on the black paint like you see in the third picture in spots.

Far as what it suffered in it's lifetime. No clue, But the previous owner's name was still in the copyright field, and it didn't seem like the camera settings were reset, the copyright field had "Andrew Wyler-David" in it.

The main reason I got it from B&H As opposed to a forums or eBay was primarily reputation, and the rating being just scuffs and wear which I can live with.

If you guys want I can get a 1:1 macro shot of any of the spots.

edit

I'm going to see what B&H says on monday, I'm hoping that if I opt to return it, that they won't pocket the shipping charge because it was not received as it was advertised. Also I just got paid for some web development work, so with a refund I should be able to get new if I wanted to, or check out one of the used (noticed one had a nice wood grip, but I prefer a black body).

12. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I'm sure B&H will handle this appropriately. I am surprised the camera is in the condition it is in, but I doubt you will have any trouble getting a refund. And I believe I would send it back. It may be totally fine, but I would lack confidence in it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    That's what I'm wondering as well since I was hoping to use it somewhat professionally since I would be keeping my E-P3 as a backup.

Anywho more pictures, don't think it's rust, but certainly shouldn't be there:

These are after I tried to wipe it down a little with a micro-fiber cloth.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
  15. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I realise some of these places put through a lot of stock, but it would be a lot more helpful if they could put pictures of the actual item for sale rather than just stock photos. After all, they can hardly say they don't have a camera available :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing

Well like with eBay for example, once a product sells on ebay, if it's used you're going by the actual pictures to judge somewhat the condition of the item compared to what you received in hand.

But once it's sold, I can't see what I was reading prior to making the picture, I have no history to go back on, and my orders page doesn't show the item grade just what it is and the price. Just like how I forgot for a moment that it was advertised to come with a flash unit, but being so caught up with the stuff pictured above I didn't notice until I found the cached page (though it's also listed as "in the box" on the current page that says not available).

As others said, they are reputable so there was very little reason to doubt their grading. I just don't want to have to eat the shipping cost (which usually happens on returns) plus pay for shipping back, I was a bit eager and had it sent next day saver. Just kind of bummed because I keep finding new things that didn't fall within expectation it's becoming an obsession, which will only be compounded by the fact that I won't hear back from them least until mon/tues (which I'll be in class those days photography, and history of photography as an art), so will probably not be able to concentrate.

Any who, enough ranting, I think I know what's going to have to happen, I might see if I can get an exchange done since I did get paid for some additional work lately, but if they won't cover shipping back and refund the shipping to me I'll just buy elsewhere. :sleeping:

17. hankbaskett

hankbaskett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Indeed, I've got one up for $400 without gross stuff leaking out all over and while it's drawn some interest it hasn't sold yet, so I don't think that $380 is some insane deal.

I'd return that thing in a second, I don't know what's gone on there, but to be honest I wouldn't want to constantly grind my face up against a camera with that stuff on it, but I'm a bit of a germophobe :D

It's like someone used it as a tissue lol.

• Like Like x 1
  18. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    B&H should make it right. I have a feeling they will, too, they're pretty great. Seems like this one just slipped through somehow.

GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

19. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Full refund, plus some more for wasting your time. Someone is having a laugh at your expense.
    iron oxide was mentioned above (rust), is that a colloquial expression for any form of metallic corrosion? As far as I'm aware the EM5 is mainly magnesium alloy.

20. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I would not accept this one.

woof