Need advice on lenses :)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ranxoren, May 23, 2013.

1. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Hello,

Quick question to the masses, a friend of mine in Europe has the Oly 17mm f/1.8 and he SWEARS by it.
    Now that the family situation that I was holding on to money for has passed, I am looking to pickup some new gear and have come across the following dilemma:

1- Brand new Oly 17mm f/1.8 with warranty and receipt (purchased retail)
    2- Used no warranty no receipt Pany 20mm f/1.7 and Pany 14mm f/2.5
    3- Brand new Oly 17mm f/1.8 and used Pany 14mm f/2.5
    4- Brand new Oly 9-18mm

Seems like a no-brainer but I am just worried reg. the used no warranty purchase from Craigslist as I have been had in the past.
    I would buy on here but I am not going to be in one place long enough over the next few weeks in order to assure receipt of a package.

Thoughts?

Update: based on the thread the 9-18mm seems to also be a viable option but not sure about how slow it is.

All insight is more than welcome! :)

2. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    I think it would be more compelling not to get the 17 1.8 if you already had the other two. With that said, the 17 1.8 is a newer technology vs the other two. Now before anyone else jumps on my back about this, all three are great lenses and you will have to decide what FL that you shoot the most or want to shoot the most. I have the 14 and the 17 and the later is on my E-P3 99% of the time. The 17 is a fantastic all purpose lens (for me) and a stellar lens for street shooting. The 20 will do about the same but has a slower AF motor and possibly better clarity which is debatable. I find my 14 tack sharp but too wide for everyday use but it does have slightly shorter minimum focus distance than the 17.

My apparent vote, the 17 1.8.

3. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    I do a lot of street shooting and portraits (have the 45mm for that) so it sounds like a brand new 17mm along with a used 14mm would be the way to go...

I guess another option here would be the Oly 9-18mm, any thoughts on that one? Seems pretty slow compared to the primes mentioned above.

4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    The 17/1.8 is a VERY versatile performer, very sharp, and produces surprisingly very good bokeh for a borderline wide angle/normal lens. If you're into architecture at all, I suggest looking into the 12/2 (you can snatch these for very good prices used) or 9-18 (the 7-15 is quite expensive).

5. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I would vote for the pancakes. I *always* have an E-PM2 with either one of those two lenses in my pants pocket. Couldn't do that with the 17 f/1.8, so I would be less likely to bring a camera.
    And as they say, the best camera is the one you have with you.
    Rudy

6. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    What's the consensus on the 9-18? Seems it's a pretty slow lens. The 7-14 would be ideal but $$

7. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I have E-PM2 and 14mm as well. That should be the smallest we can get for a good body and lens.

However, I always use a camera bag or pouch since my pants pocket is not that big. Or rather, my pants would drop to one side for the weight.

So, having the smallest combination is not a big factor to me since I will be carrying a bag anyway.

8. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Just found the 9-18 online (Canada) for $529+tax.
    Good deal? That's cheaper than a used one on amazon.

How do I remove or edit the poll above? Thread has evolved beyond those two choices.

9. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Sounds like a price to jump on a new lens... both B&H and Adorama have new ones for $699. I'm assuming you typically don't buy good used lens. I've had good experiences and can get some really good deals. On eBay, Henry's (in Canada) has an open box currently at $430. Just a thought.

I find whenever I go wide (28mm to Ultra-Wides) I go to apertures 5.6-13 for stills on a tripod... so the 9-18 is not really too slow. In my Pro DSLR equipment, I have a 16-35 L f/2.8... I never used it at f/2.8 LOL.

10. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Well it's not that I don't buy good used lenses, it's that I've been had once with a faulty lens (looked fine at time of purchase).

Wow that's a good price. I'm currently in Ottawa (Canada) so I might look at that.
    I also just found a 17mm with hood for a good price used locally I might give that a shot.

Decisions decisions.

11. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm with Rudy on this one, at least for me personally. I love me the pancakes and that's the primary reason I haven't really considered the O17, since it sits directly between my two loves.

That said, since you're shooting with a gripped OM-D, the benefit of the small lenses is minimized somewhat since you're not going to slip that thing into a jacket pocket even with the lens cap lens mounted on it. I have a hard time recommending the O9-18 just because I have such love-hate (mostly hate) relationship with the collapsing design. If you can get past that, then that's probably the lens I'd go for. If not, and if trying to find a good deal on a used PL25 is out of the question, then I'd go with the O17.

Do you like how I basically spent two paragraphs saying "all of the above PLUS this other lens you didn't even mention"? You're welcome. :wink:

12. optigan

optigan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Andy
    Well I just picked up a used 14mm to complement my 25mm and 45mm. Was thinking pancake mostly. Now that I have it I think it's going back in favor of either the 12mm or the 9-18. The FOV on the 14mm is not for me and the compact size is moot on my OM-D. Would consider the 17 as I used to love the 35mm FOV but it seems too close to the 25.

13. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Another option to consider is that Olympus seems to be including the 17mm as a kit lens with some cameras now, so if you plan to buy one in the future, you may get it that way.
    I looked at your website. For street photography it seems to be that the quicker focusing lens is best and absolute sharpness is secondary? so, the 17mm then.

14. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    The 17mm seems to be the way to go for me. Especially after reading everything on this thread.
    Loved my 35mm lens on DSLR.
    Guess I'll fall in love all over again! :)

I guess for the wider shots I'll try to find a used 14mm or a Rokinon 8mm (had to return mine due to a focus ring defect and only one in stock locally - Just my luck lol).

I'll do more thinking and keep you guys updated. Thanks everyone!

15. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Planning on keeping my E-M5 for a while so no kit opportunities coming up.

Would love any CC or feedback you may have on the site :)

16. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    I think it all boils down to what focal length suits your style the best IMO. And secondary consideration would be the lens performance but since there all pretty darn good lenses I think the focal length consideration becomes the priority here. Also if size of lenses matters to you then of course that too.

In your situation since you say that you have liked shooting with a 35mm focal length in the past I would say get the Oly 17mm and pair it with your current 45mm. From everything I have seen its a fantastic lens. Personally I never liked the 35mm focal length ever so I passed on the Oly 17mm despite some strong temptation to get it. Im far more suited to that 50mm equivalent focal length so I got the PL 25mm.

Also I think the 17mm should be able to double as a 14mm... just take a step back :smile: If you find yourself in situations where you need a wider angle lens often then grab a used 14mm or maybe even save up and grab a used 12mm.

My 2 cents.

17. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Softer than the 7-14 and 12 but most people still find it plenty sharp for real world purposes. On the OM-D, having 5-axis IBIS will make f/5.6 manageable. I always stop down the 7-14 to f/5.6 anyways to get sharper images.

18. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Oh damn! The 17mm 1.8 I found used yesterday got pulled down.
    I emailed the ad as soon as I saw it and was surprised to not get an answer even 12 hours later. Turns out she/he took down the ad.

The 20 f1.7 and 14 f2.5 just pinged me again.
    He is asking $550 for both in mint condition. Seems high isn't it?

19. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Yeah the collapsing design for the 9-18 is a big turn off.
    Olympus really dropped the ball in terms of design for such a $$ lens.
    The 7-14 is a beauty and 9-18 is meh.

20. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah, that price does seem a bit high. My own "target" price for a used P20 would be in the $275-300 range and for the P14 around $170.

That's pretty much how I feel. I understand why Olympus chose a collapsing design, and it doesn't bother some people, but I've just never quite been able to make peace with my O14-42. I just wish the 7-14 could take filters, then it would sit at the top of my "next lens" list.