1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need Advice on Issue with new lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Marine Paethor, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Marine Paethor

Marine Paethor Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Oregon
    Donny
    I Just received my Sigma 30mm f2.8 that I bought on Ebay last week. It was listed as new in package, and did indeed come packaged as new. When I opened it up to inspect it, I found what looks like a small scratch or flaw on the interior side of the rear lens. Its not very large, but it is noticeable.

I was wondering how I should proceed. This is my first step into a camera system, so I don't have any real experience with interchangeable lenses. I also don't have a lot of experience with Ebay, so I want to try to figure out the best way to handle this. I know that there is a warranty from Sigma, but in the warranty it states that in order to qualify for that you had to purchase it from an authorized Sigma seller in the US, which the seller from Ebay more than likely isn't. I was planning to contact the seller after work today, but should I ask where and when he first purchased it, or go another route with him?

Or is a lens flaw more common than I think? Will it even effect the pictures, or be noticeable in the pictures?

Here is the best picture of it I could get.

[​IMG]

Like I said, I just want to handle this the best way possible, so I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer. Thanks.

2. String

String Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    Canada
    Brian
    If its sold as new, I would return it as that's either a flaw or damage. Now with that being said, you won't notice it in any shots. What it will do is ruin any resale value the lens may have in the future.

3. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    scratches at the rear have more effects on the image. you should do a return/exchange if it's not too much of a hassle. Try Sigma also and see if they will honor the warranty.

4. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    That would drive me nuts - not that I would ever see anything in the photos, but that I knew it was there, and that if I ever sold it it would be less than perfect. Return it.

5. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Have you tried cleaning it just to make sure it is in fact a scratch?

6. Marine Paethor

Marine Paethor Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Oregon
    Donny
    Its definitely on the internal side of the glass on the rear glass. I was hoping it was just something on the outside, so I did try to clean it when I first saw it. I am waiting to hear back from the seller. I thought of contacting Sigma directly, but I'm not sure they'll honor the warranty since I bought it on Ebay. Hopefully the seller will at least give me the info on his original purchase.