1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need advice on equipment for G5

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by abhisheks77, Aug 20, 2013.

1. abhisheks77

abhisheks77 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    I am a newbie in this field. I have Panasonic G5 + 14-42mm + 45-140mm+small lowpro bag, which is suffient for my camera and both lenses. I am going to Travel Grand Canyon+Antelope+Vegas+Coral Pink Sand Dunes+Kelso Dunes in this month end.
    Most of the time in my travel, I will have lot of light due to desert and clean sunny climate. I am planning to take a basic, light weighted tripod.
    I was checking on Tripods. Below url is for Slik Compact II Tripod. Will it have subject to vibration, as this is light weighted ? Others recommended tripds seems to be out of my budget.
    Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More Online Shopping | eBay
    I have LUMIX G Vario 14-42mm lens and H-FS45150K 45-150mm Lumix G Series Lens, which came with this camera as kit.
    Should I consider some like Hoya 52mm (HMC UV / Circular Polarizer / Warm) ? Here is URL - Amazon.com: Hoya 52mm (HMC UV / Circular Polarizer / Warm) 3 Introduction Filter Kit with Pouch: Electronics
    Or some individual filter or something else, I will require for my travel ?

2. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    My opinion is that almost any tripod will be adequate, given the G5+lenses is so dang light. However, many of us have 3+ tripods hanging around b/c we resisted buying a high quality tripod. If you can rent a nice tripod to demo, that would be a good experience. Ultimately when you buy, if photography is to be a serious hobby, I would just splurge for a carbon fiber tripod.

With regards to the filters, having a circular polarizer is nice as that's the only filter that cannot be reproduced in post processing. However the other filters I would just forget about.

3. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I agree with MingTynMaa. Skip the other filters and if at all possible get a good tripod.

One thing that rarely gets mentioned about carbon fiber vs alum. is that CF doesn't get hot or cold to the touch. It can be very unpleasant to grab a tripod that has been sitting in the hot sun/cold for a while.

4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I join the advice regarding the Circular Polarizer filter it is the only one you need out of the 3.
    I tripod have the Slick tripod, but i recommend that you look at Sirui T1004X it is a much better tripod then the Slick. The main difference is the ball head which is much better and that it gets higher almost to eye level.

5. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    I have a Sirui tripod as well. Also many people like Feisol as well. Reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Tripods
    Has a nice comparative table.

6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I'm that guy. :)

On the plus side it means I always have one in the trunk of my car, just in case.

7. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  8. RajC

RajC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    Vote for the Slik

I've used the Slik for about a decade. It's a durable and extremely versatile tripod which I highly recommend. The head is fine- you don't need a ball head unless you are going to try some video with camera movement. I'd suggest getting a Manfrotto quick release plate. The whole thing would be less that $75.

Filters. I agree with the polarizer. I'd add an ND too. It will allow slow shutter times which you cannot replicate with photoshopp.

9. RajC

RajC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    Remote shutter release?

Skip a remote shutter release. Just use the self-timer if you want to eliminate camera shake.

In regards to carbon fiber not being subject to hot/cold, this has never been an issue for me with my Slik. Another nice feature of the Slik is the leg locks don't require twisting. That will save a lot of pain in your wrists and hands.

10. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say I plan on doing a very similar trip (Grand Circle) in a month and I bought the G5 for it as well.

Post some pictures when you get back!

11. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    The Mefoto tripod has been getting some good reviews at discovermirrorless.com
    It's designed to be a travelling tripod:
    A Real Life MeFoto Tripod Audition and Review. - YouTube

Worth checking out. I don't own one of these, but if I needed one, and was going to travel, I'd be sure to check it out.