1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need advice on cheap Sigma lenses!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ramirez, May 20, 2013.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I found cheap second hand Sigma lenses through a retailer.

Sigma 19 and 30, both at f2.8 for 85€ piece, second hand.

Are they worth anything? Which one should I order if I order?

2. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I have both, but I've only really used the 19mm. I love it, very nice image quality and bokeh. I've used both the 14mm f/2.5 and 17mm f/2.8 and prefer it to both even though it is physically a larger lens.

4. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I have both, and use the 30 far more. I find it useful for portraits. I find the 19 to be a slightly odd focal length, but the price was right, and it is still a good lens.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

5. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Don't hesitate. Both are excellent. I have them both. My only regret is that the 30mm isn't a 35mm - if it were, then the pair would give the same focal lengths as my beloved Canon SureShot Tele from the late '80s (38/70mm twin lens)

6. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    The 30 has become my very most used lens. I can't say anything against it. It might not be the very best lens ever made, but it is certainly a rock solid performer. It flares kind of like the P20, which isn't great, but it is acceptable. CA is reasonable. Sharpness is fine. I also have come to really like the FL... I thought I wanted a 25, but think this is working out to be more useful. I guess you have to ask yourself if f2.8 is fast enough... it is for me for most my shots.

Honestly, the 19 is reported to be a little better than my Oly 17/2.8, but the 19 is way way bigger and I like the pancakeness of the 17... also like it being 17mm and not 19. I would never consider the 19 for myself, but people love it.

7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    They are both great lenses. Not without their shortcomings; somewhat bulky, slow to startup/wake up (esp. the 19mm), not super fast. But you can't beat them for the price and then some. Keep in mind that 85 euro is about 25-35% lower than what they go for new nowadays (speaking of the old versions).

8. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Many experience a slow start up with the Sigma lenses but on my G3 it's very fast. No issue at all. One other thing I love that never gets mentioned is the wonderfully smooth focus ring - better than rings on my other Panasonic lenses.

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Do you have the new Art version? My girlfriend has the old 30 and a G3. There is a start up delay and focus ring is crap, barely turns. Image quality is excellent however.

10. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    Echoing what others have said- they are both good lenses. I bought both and thought I'd use the 30mm more often (I love portraits!), but as time has gone on, the 19mm is my go to lens for walk around photography, street photography, and even some really fun portraits.

So, long story short, as long as it's from a reputable dealer (and perhaps gives you some way to return them if they have any issues, being second-hand), they're hard not to like.

11. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Though I've never used either, I spent a bit of time on the Sony NEX forums, and the Sigmas seem to have a very nice reputation on there...

12. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

No it's not the new Art version. I wonder if Sigma made upgrades to this lens without advertising it? It's a hair slower to start up than my Panasonic lenses. Barely noticeable.

Enjoy looking at your pics over on Flickr.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Mu-43 mobile app

13. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    I've been using the Sigma 19mm for half a month now and I'm enjoying using the lens. No problem with the startup on my E-PM1.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

14. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    I have the new style 30mm. Optically it is no different from the old one.

Image quality is excellent, sharp and contrasty with good color rendition. Focus is instantaneous and it is excellent at 2.8 with great center sharpness and very nice bokeh.

If you like razor sharp, stop down to 5.6 and yow.

I'd recommend the lens even if it weren't so inexpensive.

At the price it is an excellent purchase.

P.

15. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    The 19mm and 30mm are both very good lenses. They both have useful, natural looking perspectives. They are good enough that I sold off my Nikkor manual focus primes in similar lengths.

16. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I have the older 19mm, and my experience is the same as chipbutty's: no start-up delay that I can tell, and a really smooth focus ring.

17. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    im glad i bought both mine start up right away if there is any delay i cant tell and both are excellent performers good sharpness

18. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I will pass on the Sigmas for now.

I have the Fuji XF 35 f1.4 for low light and "bokeh" work.

As I wrote in my "Olympus OM-D kit" thread; my OM-D is primary my "adventure outside in the nature" camera.

I haven´t had a decent tele zoom for years and I found the OLYMPUS M.ZUIKO 40-150/4.5.6 ED black to go with my black OM-D for 115€.

I just ordered it.

It is going to be fun to have a longer reach :)

19. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Changed my mind!! I´ll go for it all!

I pushed the button on the Sigma 30 mm 2.8 EX DN !!

I couldn't resist it anymore! A cheap and quite good IQ prime.

I probably will order the Sigma 60 too if I'm very satisfied with the 30.

These will serve to help me in low light video recording mostly.