Need advice - Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in NYC

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by demiro, Sep 25, 2013.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    We're thinking about going to New York for Thanksgiving. Wondering what locals or tourists can offer with regard to the Thanksgiving day parade or the balloon inflation the night before. After a little research it is not looking so good to me. But maybe those with some experience can lend a better perspective.

Any thoughts or tips welcome! Thanks.
  2. bg2b

bg2b Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2009
    Berkeley Heights, NJ
    We went to the parade one year (no experience with the inflation). It's a total zoo, and you have to get there very early and camp out if you want to get a reasonably close spot on the street. We were coming from NJ and arrived way too late for that, but went into the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle. There are a few spots in the mall where you can watch things go by from on-high. We found one shop where there was not much selling going on and which had reasonable windows for viewing; the staff seemed to accept the crowds of kids perched on the window sills with equanimity. So we made out OK, but frankly if you want to see the parade well, turn on a TV. There are some hotels that have good views of the route as well, but they're majorly expensive (and probably booked a year in advance too).

I'm not sorry we went, but it's definitely one of those once-is-enough experiences.
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks bg2b, I'm pretty sure we are going to skip the event this year. Maybe look at it next year with some strategic planning.

You are right about the hotels -- $1200+ per night and many require multiple night bookings. That is not happening.