1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need Advice from the Collective

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by BobBill, Dec 2, 2013.

1. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Did not know where to put this question. It really concerns hardware, but more too.

I live in a small town and depended upon local store for prints, especially those large than 8x10. Sadly, the store closed, so I am faced with finding a new print maker or buying a printer to do the work at home. I used to print my own work but digital is the world now.

I reside in SE Minnesota.

So, what is a good home printer (I do lots of bw work but not all?

What is a good firm I might be able to employ that does such work. I did check on-line vendors, but not so sure.

Thanks in advance. I figure the minds here are the best souce.

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I found a nice home printer during Black Friday. Canon Pixma MG5420. Unfortunately it only does borderless prints up to 8x10, it's limited to Legal sized paper due to its form factor. If you get the higher models you also get Grey, which apparently works wonders for black & white prints. I saw a MG7120 for $20 more and it was my first choice but Staples sold out hours before I could get there.

When I was researching for printers, a lot of people recommended Canon or Epson's professional series. For the few prints I've made with my printer, it looks great, I'm pretty happy with the price tag too, $59 reduced from $149.

For larger prints I use a local print shop, sorry no real experience with online printing services.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jfdana

jfdana Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    South Portland, ME
    I have used with very good success an Epson R3000 (prints 13" wide) which I sold for a 3880 (17").

For me, having the ability to print at home has made a world of difference. I also have taken to printing on "fine art" papers, first Epson's (brush first to prevent flakes) and, lately, Moab Entrada Natural 300, 14X21 image on 17X25 paper. Prints aren't cheap, but also not so expensive as to prevent experimenting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have enjoyed working with White House Custom Color and Bay Photo. Both have provided me with excellent customer service and high quality products. They are worth a look if you are considering labs (and I believe that WHCC is in MN).

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Both... pick a web-based service you like (try a couple), then buy a printer. Actually, our local Walgreens (a national/regional pharmacy chain) gives good results. Upload and pick up in store or they mail. I've used Epson printers for years on decent paper (the key) and prints are still hanging in my house. Takes a bit to dial it in to your liking, but you can't deny making your own prints at home isn't a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    I found home printing to be vastly expensive on my Canon MP990. That thing would chew through ink like nobody's business, especially given how infrequently I used it (seemed to need cleaning a lot which I think was the problem). If I printed more often than I do, it probably wouldn't be so bad.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I too have used Walgreens with decent success. For more critical prints I have used MPix (online) and been pleased with the results.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    I can also vouch for both Bay Photo and MPix. I've been pleased with their prints.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    MPix is great and, as much as I hate to say it, Walmart uses a decent quality Fuji system that I've used a number of times.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    I haven't had much luck at Walmart in my area, but if I need a print quickly (same day), I use Sam's Club.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Much thanks to all. We have a Walgreen's here and I will try to find out who they use for processing, which could be in house in Deerfield, IL and have begin to look into the suggested printers...will be fun. Thanks again.

12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    My Walgreens prints in-house. I can actually talk to the tech and tweak when necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    I have a new friend...Walgreen's Robert here and his mate to rescue me. But, in case, still perusing the info you kind souls have offered.