1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

need advice for my first all around lens

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by renegade, Jun 3, 2015.

1. renegade

renegade Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2015
    rey
    hello everyone. i hope i came to the right place. i was looking for active micro 4/3 users forum everywhere.

i will start by introducing myself. my name is Rey. i m from Philippines and currently working and residing in KSA. i am relatively new to the micro4/3 system but i am very interested mainly because of its size and surprisingly good performance. i love to photograph landscape, cityscapes, portrait, maybe a little bit of birding since my friend group is up for birding. i came from Panasonic GF1 with 20mm 1.7 kit lens 4 years ago (which i already give it to my wife) and i was blown away when i first use it. cant believe the capabilities for the micro4/3 system so i decided to upgrade to E-M1. since i like the performance, the looks and the handling of it. so last month i had a chance to buy an E-M1 body at roughly 650USD.

i am asking your expertise and experience on this camera body. i want to build a lens base for my micro4/3 system. not in one time but one by one i will try to get the essential lenses for my E-M1.

here are my Options:
    1. get the Speedbooster/LensTurbo for Canon FD and buy cheap Canon FD lenses
    2. get the MMF3 and buy the essential fourthirds lenses from Olympus ( i really prefer this one since i can find a lot of very good Olympus 4/3 lenses online for a cheaper price and it supports AF)
    3. get the micro4/3 lenses ( but this is so limited and relatively expensive)

can you help me choose my first all around lens? which system do i first buy? speedbooster/lensturbo, fourthirds+mmf3 or micro4/3 system lenses? i want to start with the MMF3+Zuiko12-60/2.8-4.0 since i can take advantage of the AF and i can find the pair for less than 500USD online

thank you and hope to hear your opinions on this.

2. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    What features are most important to you? Size/weight (doesn't sound like it)? Speed of focus? Optical quality? What budget are you operating in? Do you prefer zooms or primes?

The landscape, portrait and bird photography interests you mentioned call for three very different focal length ranges, so probably two to three different lenses. If you are really only looking for one, you probably will want to get a normal range zoom to cover landscape and portraits, and cover the birding with a super telephoto later.

Depending on your above answers, I would caution that you'll probably get a mixed response for all three options. That's because people generally like what they went with and found success with it. M4/3 is anything but limited (neither are the m4/3 native lens choices, by the way), which is a good thing.

Personally, I would take option #3, even though it may be the most expensive, but that's because that's what I use and I like it. But you won't find a lens optimized for birding there yet. If price is a concern, consider looking for them used.

The other choices have compromises (though less so for option #2, primarily size really, maybe some focusing performance). I wouldn't go with option #1 unless you already have that glass. Otherwise, you might as well have bought a Canon. Speed boosters aren't cheap either.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. renegade

renegade Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2015
    rey
    i appreciate your opinion sir. yes i will get the 3 types of lenses (prime, normal zoom and tele) as ive mentioned i wanted to have a lens base for this mount. but that would be very soon.

right now i am after for my first all around lens since i only bought the E-M1 body. im pretty sure the 14-40/2.8 Pro is a no brainer and even the 40-150pro is just a drool worthy for a micro4/3 users but they're just too expensive for me right now. im looking for a cheaper alternative. thats how Zuiko 12-60/2.8-4.0 + MMF3 come in my list.

thanks again

4. PhotoDmiK

PhotoDmiK Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2015
    I suggest 12-50EZ as weather sealed all around normal zoom lens. Its cheap if you look for used.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    Some of the m43 lenses are bargains. You can find the 45/1.8, 20/1.7 and 12-32 for good prices used, and you can find the 40-150R for good prices new.

The ZD 9-18, 12-60 and 50-200 SWD and EC-14 are also excellent for the money. AF is sometimes not as fast as m43 counterparts, but it's usually close, and image quality is very close, sometimes a little better.

Speedboosted FD lenses usually have good image quality but they're still MF, and most of them have a vintage character that you might like or not like. I personally use speedboosted legacy lenses when there's no modern counterpart (mainly long fast primes) or for vintage effects.

• Like Like x 1
  6. renegade

renegade Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2015
    rey
    i prefer a brighter lens as much as possible. thanks for the input

i really find this helpful,
    sure i will get the Oly 45/1.8 but that would be on the later part since it wont be an all rounder.

im really joggling between 12-60/2.8-4.0, 14-54/2.8-3.4II and the 50-200/2.8-3.5SWD with the MMF-3 at the moment. they're all have good image quality and they're relatively cheap on ebay right now lass than 500 bucks shipped.

by the way, is there any other compromise using older Oly fourthirds lens on a micro4/3 body other than the slower AF?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    the 12-60 is a pretty chunky lens...a very good lens, but does go slightly against the idea of micro 4/3

P6030003. P6030004.

K

• Like Like x 1
  8. renegade

renegade Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2015
    rey
    very nice pair indeed kevin. does it work properly with the e-M1. any issues? would you recommend this to me? i dont mind the size of the lens. in fact HLD7 grip is already on its way.

i think the pair will look better ballanced with the grip

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    rey

Thats just one lens, the 12-60 - at either end of its zoom range !!!

to be honest I have not shot it on the e-M1, I tend to be a prime guy these days.

Though I do shoot the 50-200 and the 50 macro, and they seem to focus as well as they did on the 4/3 bodies

cheers

K

10. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    renegade - you may find this overview of the m43 & 4/3 zooms useful - https://www.mu-43.com/threads/68705/#post-686378

I really like the 12-60 and if I had to have one lens on the E-M1 it would be my choice for sure. As Kevin notes the 12-60 is not really in the "spirit" of m43. Personally I would not bother with the HLD-7 until you go bigger than the 12-60, for example the 50-200 or 14-35. The 12-60 does not feel a whole lot bigger mounted than the 12-40.

11. renegade

renegade Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2015
    rey
    Larry, your article really opens up a new point of view for me. now without a doubt, i will get the 12-60/2.8-4.0 + MMF-3 pair

i will surely add the ZD 50-200/2.8-3.5 or even the ZD 30-100/2.0 soon.

cheers!