1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

need advice: e-pl1 wich lens combination?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by susikamikaze, Jan 1, 2011.

1. susikamikaze

susikamikaze Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2010
    Hi everybody,

I like to upgrade from a Canon G11 to an Oly e-pl1.

But I´cant decide the e-pl1 with the kit lens and an pana 20/1.7 or kit lens and the new mft 40-150.
    The option with the 14-140 is not longer an option I can`t afford it.

I `ll will mainlly taking pictures of my family( both of my sons are musicians ( so indoors and low light). Landscapes when hiking
    and as a tourist/travel camera. I love macro but my g11 works great in this area.
    I love any insight you have.

A happy New Year from Bavaria

servus karo

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What are you looking to gain by upgrading?

What don't you like about the G11?

3. susikamikaze

susikamikaze Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2010
    What don't you like about the G11?[/QUOTE]

Low Light abillity! When I attempt to take photos in difficult light situation,she has great problems to fokus proper and over ISo 800 you have a lot of noise.
    And she is not the best when you are taking videos.
    I love her macro performance.

karo

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The 20/1.7 and other fast/bright lenses are the only thing that will make a significant improvement over what you have on those situations.

Currently, you have the 20/1.7 and 25/0.95 in native mount. Note the 25/0.95 is manual focus only. Rumor has it that a 25/1.4 is coming. Of course, if manual focus is OK, then there are tons of options in legacy glass.

5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I would sit down and list what is most important to me. Kids grow up and move away. Landscapes tend to stay put.

Also if you don't mind manual focusing remember you can adapt other lenses to the Olympus.

So my thoughts would be to get the kit 14-42 for the wide reach and the 20/1.7 for low light. Then look for an inexpensive adapted telephoto or zoom.

In fact you may want to consider an 50mm fast prime (f2 or faster) adapted lens for those times you cannot get close in low light during concerts. It also would make a nice portrait lens. With a little careful shopping you should be able to the it under $50 for an adapter and prime. For another $30 or less there are lots of 135mm lenses you could add as well.