1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

need a suggestion for a small and as light as possible 400mm legacy.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by colbycheese, Jul 10, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I have the 135mm takumar telephoto prime and i love it, however i would like something with a bit more reach. I need a 200mm or more lens that is as small and as light as possible. I don't mind what mount, but maybe something with the m39 mount might be a bit smaller and lighter?

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    How much are you willing/able to spend? What sorts of subjects are you looking to shoot? Have you considered the native O75-300 or P100-300?

Without knowing more about what you're looking for, perhaps something like this would fit the bill?

3. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    i want to spend probably 150 max. The main use for the lens would probably be for bird photos, and maybe some other wildlife. That lens that you linked me, is it any good?

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I have the OM 200mm f4, and OM lenses do tend to be on the smaller size. With the adapters on both, it's about 2 inches longer than your Tak 135mm f3.5 (I have one too). Spec sheets say it's about 200g heavier too.

I see they only cost about $59 USD at keh.com. Bummer. I paid $90 about 10 years ago. It's OM quality, but it's a working man's lens. You'll need to put some contrast back in.

I think my 4/3 70-300 works better, but this is fine for a lot less money, but more work. Pic is a 2X crop.

Attached Files:

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    No experience with that lens, but keh,com has the OM 300mm f5 starting at $139. I didn't see a 400mm lens in any mount that would not blow your proposed budget though.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

7. laptoprob

laptoprob Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2010
    I have a Minolta MD 4,5/300 for sale. Converted to Sony Alpha SLR mount. With tripod mount and Arca slide as a handheld support. Pictured with M43 adapter.

Attached Files:

8. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I'd also rate the Olympus 200/4, mine was $69aud including a UV filter (which was terrible :D).

Some samples -

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/45367/

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/4838/page-334#post-771208

I have the single coated version, there is a multicoated version (black nose) which has less CA but I remember coming across someone saying it had a little less 'punch' whatever that means. It's also a little optimistic as an f4 lens, if you have highlights or dark/bright area contrast in a shot at f4, you are in for some PP. There's also an 200/F5 version which I think is one of the smallest and lightest 200mm lenses ever made (the f4 is no slouch either though).

9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I have a brand new one I was given that I now can't even give away... I will say that it's absolutely tiny however it's of little use for me as it only works on the OM-1, on the later OM bodies the split prism blacks out due to lack of light on the viewing screen (they have a double mirror design for metering). This wouldn't be an issue if you were adapting it to mirrorless though.

10. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I also have the Tokina 300 mirror lens. It's cheap and reports the EXIF so I can find the images on my PC with Lightroom two years later. It's good for a mirror lens, and with good light, a steady base, and the right light, it can make nice pictures. Here is the forum showcase.
    https://www.mu-43.com/threads/34531/

It's still very hard to use and takes careful focus. Hand held, if you want sharp pics, they will be few keepers. It's something I got because I never had a mirror lens and wanted the experience. It's useful because it is a small and light lens, but cannot replace my 70-300 zoom. I could not recommend it as a long lens.

Unprocessed JPG.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Enoch

Enoch Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2015
    Enoch Haven
    Hey, are you open to selling this lens? Can you PM me?