1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

need a suggestion for a legacy 35mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by colbycheese, Jul 6, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I am looking for a legacy 35mm and was wondering what ones are good performance wise. So far i have looked at the Nikkor-S 35mm 2.8 and the 35mm takumar, which i believe is 3.5 (the 2.8 version costs over 150 on ebay) The only thing i am looking for is solid optical performance and at least with a 2.8 aperture. I also am considering the vivitar 35mm 2.8, which i found in the nikon mount.

2. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    The Nikkor-O 35mm f2 is a great lens. Not cheap but not stupid money either - I picked mine up for £70. It's not glowy at f2 - very usable wide open and is very sharp by f4.
    The Olympus Pen F 38mm f1.8 is also great and usable from wide open. It's tiny and the adapter is very slim. It's one of the cheapest and easiest to find of the Pen F lenses.

3. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    I have a Soligor 35mm/f2.8 going cheep. Soligor 35mm 2.JPG Soligor 35mm.JPG Soligor 35mm 3.JPG Soligor 35mm 4.JPG

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'd be thinking really hard about what a manual lens could provide over the Sigma 30mm f2.8 that sells for about $120 used.

• Like Like x 2
  5. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Am I misunderstanding you, or do you mean you are selling this lens?

6. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    I am indeed. I suppose it depends on where you are. If you're outside the UK the postage would be prohibitive.

If you're inside the UK then £20 all-in with 1st Class recorded delivery.

7. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Oh that's unfortunate. I am located in Canada

8. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    That IS a shame. It's a heavy lump of metal and glass so I would guesstimate a postage cost of between £25 and £30 to Canada. It could be even more.

9. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Does the Nikkor need to be modified to use. I read this online on a few sites

10. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Alright. I will consider. It might just be better for me to get one off ebay but I will see how much they go for and I'll get back to you

11. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    You'll find one cheaper or, for the same price (say, £50) you could pick up a very decent big name lens.

Best of luck pal. I love searching Ebay for legacy glass. :2thumbs:

12. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    No, I just stuck it on my Nikon F to M4/3 adapter and it worked. The Nikkor-O is a pre-AI lens. I don't know if the later 35mm f2s are the same. I think it's difficult (or impossible) to convert to AI for use on later Nikon cameras, which might have been what you've read.

13. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    ya i assume that is what they meant, however one of the places i saw this said they had to convert it to ai to use with their sony nex. Also why can't the be used on modern nikon cameras? does it have to do with the mirror being in the way? EDIT: I have also read that the lens protrudes alot in the back, which probably means i wont be able to use it with my focal reducer.

14. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    My 50's with a focal reducer walk all over my OM35 f3.5 and Vivitar 35 f2.8. Did you ever sort out whether yours was worth keeping, ColbyCheese?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If you aren't planning on sticking it on a focal reducer, there aren't many vintage 35mm lenses that I would strongly recommend from my personal experience.

The Takumar 35/3.5 is small, but the adapter is large, and the results from mine don't thrill me (colours are nice, though).

The faster 35mm lenses (f2) all end up being quite large and expensive because they're still desirable on FF or APS-C cameras, both mirrorless and DSLR, due to their focal length. Even slower 35mm lenses from SLRs tend to be larger than you'd expect because they need to have a retrofocal design, because their focal length is shorter than the length of the mirror box. I find their results are usually not that sharp on mirrorless, or at least not on M4/3.

My recommendation would be the 38mm/f1.8 Pen F, because it's a good lens and legitimately small despite its fast aperture. It's also available for around $100, so it's much cheaper than almost any 35mm f2 SLR lens you'd find. It is designed for a short-flange camera already, so it uses a tiny adapter, and it's designed for a half-frame Olympus, so the optics are better than average.

My other recommendation would be the Sigma 30mm/f2.8 because it's compact, native, autofocus, and sharp. Probably optically better on M4/3 than any SLR lens.

16. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    Not sure exactly but I think I've read that the later cameras can't meter with the pre-AI lenses. I'm also not sure about its use with focal reducers - I've never tried it. It's already pretty fast for a 35mm and I like the focal length on m4/3.

17. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    If you are interested in OM Zuiko maunual focus shoot me a PM with your list. I have a bunch I'm willing to part with.

18. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    ok i will send you a pm

19. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    Some other 35mm legacy lens worthy of mention are:
    • Carl Zeiss Flektogon 35mm. Earlier versions are f2.8, later ones f2.4. They can often be found for under £100.
    • There's also a Russian version, the Mir-1 37mm f2.8, available for much less
    • Yashica ML 35mm f2.8, which has been described as the poor man's Zeiss Distagon. Can be cheap if you can find one.

20. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    The CZ f2.4 is a stunning lens and usable wide open (better stopped down one stop). I'd rate it a better performer than my Nikkor f2, and the close focus is very useful. I've owned the Mir in the past and it wasn't at all bad on a D200, but not up to the Nikkor so I sold it.