1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need a prime for my Guatemala trip.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by paullgj, Sep 28, 2015.

1. paullgj

paullgj Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Brownsville, TX
    As posted below I just purchased a GX1/14-45 for a trip to Guatemala, Dia de Todos los Santos, at the end of October. Going to rent a 35-100 4.0-5.6, but I also need a prime. Which FL 15, 20, or 25? A lot of the trip will be candid street type documentary. One day will be a volcano climb. I'm leaning to the 20 mm, but there may be times when I want a little subject isolation.

2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Maybe get a second hand copy of the 35-100. I see one for sale in the buy/sell section for $235 https://www.mu-43.com/threads/79972/ . Use it, come home and sell it. It will probably be cheaper than renting.

The prime choice is totally up to what focal length you like to use for that kind of thing. Use your kit lens to find out what you like the best. The only thing is the 20mm is a little on the slow side as far as AF is concerned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    siftu is right about how buying used at a good price and reselling is often better than renting.

In regard to the prime lens, those three are close enough in range that it is such a personal thing in regard to which of those three lenses is going to be the right focal length for you and your shooting "vision." I don't know how any of us could advise which will fit your intentions/vision best. Do as siftu suggested and use those focal lengths on your zoom to get an idea which is the best fit for you.

4. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    I don't know how the 35-100 4-5.6 compares to the 45-150 4-5.6 but if they are about the same performance level I would go for the longer lens because 100 isn't that long when shooting many travel scenes. Good deals on a used 45-150 have popped up in the recent past on the various m43 for sale forums. For the money, it is a decent performer. Sure, it isn't as good as the f2.8 zooms but it cost about 1/4 the price. Keep steady and your shutter speed high when it is zoomed out! My original m43 travel kit was a 14-45, 45-150 and a PL25 with a GX1. It produced nice images for the very limited investment I had to make.

5. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I think the 20mm would be a good prime for your candid photos. With the GX1, you ought to be able to remain relatively low profile with it.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

All of the primes at those focal lengths are downright outstanding. I'd shoot a bit at each of the focal lengths using your zoom and see which you think will get used more. Don't forget 17mm f1.8, too. It's a great value used lately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. paullgj

paullgj Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Brownsville, TX
    GX1 and 14-45 arrived a few minutes ago from KEH. EX+ looks brand new. I'm charging the battery at present. My initial observation is that this thing begs for primes (at least for the street), the smaller the better. Probably will go for the 20 mm pancake.

8. paullgj

paullgj Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Brownsville, TX
    Yes, just checked out the 17 mm. It's an Oly lens. Does the GX1 correct for distortion and CA? I like the fact that it has the hyper focal marks.

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The 20mm/1.7 is a match made in heaven for this camera, but if you're primarily focusing on street photography, the faster AF and nicer manual focus on the 17/1.8 may be preferable. But the 20mm takes such brilliant pics, and is so tiny and discreet. It'll make your GX1 look just like another LX7.

Distortion on the Oly 17mm should be corrected, I believe that's a must for the M4/3 consortium.

I'm not sure about CA, though.

10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I honestly would go more toward the 25mm and 45mm side of the fence for street stuff. Take your pick between Oly and Panasonic - they both have awesome primes in those lengths.

11. paullgj

paullgj Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Brownsville, TX
    Definitely no doubt about the 45 mm lens. The big debate is 20 or 25. I like the size of the Pany 20, but looking at most of my shots in the Nikon world, they seem to be about 50 mm equiv. that means the PL 25.

12. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I have the p20 and the o25. Both very good IQ no doubt. I prefer the p20 focal length personally but prefer the O25 autofocus. When I'm out and about and not knowing what I will be shooting I would probably lean for the faster AF. Out at dinner etc where I will be sitting at a table I have no problems with the p20 AF. The size difference isn't that big between the two.

13. paullgj

paullgj Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Brownsville, TX
    Summary - leaving next Tuesday (10/27). Here's what we got - Panasonic LX7 - street, candid, and walk-around; Light-weight travel Sprint tripod, Panasonic GX1 - 14-45, and rented from KEH Panasonic 20, 42.5, and 35-100 4.0-5.6. The GX1 will be used when I actually have time for good composition - some great landscape shots and I'm sure there will be processions November 1, Dia de Todos los Santos. Anything I can leave behind, as even this lightweight kit, has maybe too much stuff in it? The 20 is critical for candid street and the 35-100 is for volcano shots, if the skies clear (there's been extremely heavy tropical rains in Guatemala the past few weeks).

14. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Seems like a lot of overlap in the middle and no wides....

15. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Ahhh, to think, back in the day 28mm was considered a very wide lens for film photographers...

If it's mainly landscape he's concerned about for ultrawide angles, I find that panoramic stitching with a moderate focal length often leads to better results with less noticeable distortion and much higher resolution than a native ultrawide. Obviously that doesn't work for astrophotography or urban landscapes with people in them, but for good old fashioned nature, I think there's very little compromise associated with that strategy and lots of benefits. While you can't compose in camera in the same way, you've got so much resolution that you can easily crop with impunity after the fact with no concerns at all.

16. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Landscapes aside I find the 9-18 range (28eq included) indispensable for street scenes, e.g. Dia de Los Muertos and architecture.

True that :) Now I consider the 9-18 ยต4:3 range, "wide". Anything wider is "ultra wide". Obviously YMMV

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  17. paullgj

paullgj Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Brownsville, TX
    Hi everyone,

I anticipate the 20 mm prime to be my "go to" lens on the camera most of the time. For landscapes - i.e., volcanoes and such, I do plan to stitch for panoramas. The 42.5 prime is for "street portraits" if I get the opportunity. The two zoom lenses - well, I'll have them in case I need them. FWIW, I've been in touch with people in Guatemala - non-stop rain for the last two weeks. That might mean less volcano hikes and more just plain street. Mudslides, mudflows, raging stream torrents a real possibility.

18. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    A real possibility for some sweet photography!

19. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    I find the 14mm to be too wide for most of what I do and feel that the 15mm would be as well. I would probably be looking at 20mm or 25mm. Both are very good "standard" lengths on our system. 20mm will give you just a little more room to make your pictures work in compressed spaces, which sometimes happens when traveling. The subject isolation can be created, to a certain extent, by shooting closer to your subject. That's how I've done all "bokeh" type shots with vintage 28mm primes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    If the performance of the 20mm on the older GF1 is anything to go by, you'll be satisfied with the performance of the 20mm - it's not the fastest to focus, but very reliable and accurate to focus on the Panasonic bodies. It sort of swiftly glides into focus and hardly ever hunts - very reassuring, even if the snappy action of some other primes is certainly quicker. The optics are very good, sharp and clear with solid bokeh wide open if you can get close enough to your subject (which is solely up to you - the lens can bring you in to 20cm - two third of a foot :)). It's a fantastic lens for street and candids in my experience, and since the GX1 is the GF1's younger sibling, it'll feel just right when on the camera.

Enjoy your trip!

M.