1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need a paper cutter suggestion

Discussion in 'Printing' started by hwan, Dec 4, 2014.

1. hwan

hwan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    St Louis, MO
    I just bought a printer (Canon Pro-10) and now need a paper cutter. I'm thinking of getting the Dahle 550, which has great reviews. It will be used not too often (maybe couple times a week), and I will likely only be cutting 1 sheet at a time. Currently, it's about $130. My wife thinks this is way too expensive for a paper cutter. She says a pair of scissors is plenty sufficient. Any suggestions on how I can convince her otherwise? =P

She says that if 10 people reply saying that using scissors is absurd before 1 person comments that scissors is sufficient, then she'll let me get the paper cutter.

Also, are there any cheaper ones that are good? It needs to be able to cut at least 13" paper. I would rather spend $130 on a good one that'll last forever than to have to keep buying cheap ones.

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Using scissors is absurd.

Get the best cutter that you can afford and it will last a lifetime. I use a Carl DC250, but a good Dahle will be able to cut finer slices due to the way the blade works.

3. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    Using scissors is very absurd. :mad:
    Maybe she should get $3.00 jeans. :rolleyes:

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Using scissors is absurd. Actually the word I would have chosen is "impossible."

Re the Dahle, my impression is that the guideline gridding on all the Dahles is metric. If you prefer inches to centimeters, I'm sure you can find an equivalent Rotatrim, which I think most people consider to be similar to the Dahles in quality..

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Scissors is absurd...

Saw one at Costco for less a while back, maybe it's on their site.

Barry

6. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I use scissors... BUT it's a very stupid and time killing tool... but im way to cheap for my own good :)

7. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Using scissors is absurd (as others have said)

I use a Dahle 552 and 554 regularily at work. They are excellent. Other than the shorter cutting length, the 550 is identical. They are used to trim ~100 11x14 and ~40-80 13x19 prints on 310g/m2 water color paper each month. The 552 has been doing this alone for the past 4+ years with no real sign of wear. The larger 554 has only recently been added.

My personal cutters at home include the less expensive Dahle. Mine is a 25 year old version of what is now the Dahle Personal Rolling Trimmer 18". This is a more light duty cutter. It has a narrower bed and a less substantial cutting wheel. Still, it cuts very well and suits my needs adequately. Amazon US currently (Dec 2014) sells it for just under $60 at http://www.amazon.com/Dahle-Persona...?ie=UTF8&qid=1417794688&sr=8-2&keywords=dahle

8. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Using scissors IS absurd!!

9. hwan

hwan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    St Louis, MO
    Thanks guys! =) The Dahle 550 is on its way.

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree, using scissors is absurd! Get yourself a good cutter & a mat cutter too (for framing).