1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

need a new cheapo PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luke, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'm not into computers. To me they are just tools. I have always bought cheap computers and I always will. I usually get about 3 years out of them. A couple times I bought more expensive ones. One was an Apple and it lasted 2 years, the other was a PC, and it lasted 3 as well. I won't be talked into buying a better one.....I just don't care enough. They are all good enough to do what I need.

Having gotten that out of the way, I know a bunch of you folks are really INTO them. There are others who are really into checking out the daily deal sites. So share your accumulated wisdom. If you were looking for bang for buck (with the emphasis on low buck), what you buy today. I'm looking to spend around $300, but if I can find one for less that'll do most of the same, I'm game. I would lean towards a tower rather than a laptop. I also don't really care what the OS is, unless you tell me differently. Used is also not an option.

Thanks in advance for your time.

2. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
  3. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
  4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
  5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Steve, I should have pointed out that I have a keyboard and mouse and monitor.

Thanks all for the tips....keep 'em coming. I'm on my way to the computer repair store to pick up my dead carcass now. It's nice that he's putting the $40 diagnostic charge towards his charge to back up everything off the old hard drive for me.

6. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    In which case, just buy whatever's cheap and you like the look of... $300 will get you something pretty slow in comparison with a reasonable spec machine - they will all be much of a muchness at that price.

7. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I have bought most of my recent PC's from the Dell outlet store. These are refurbished but look and act like new machines. A full fresh image. Check out the deals there. They change all the time and you can get a pretty good PC for your price point.

Also give a look at techbargains.com

8. ejackso1

ejackso1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    Lenovo A10-Series APU 8GB DDR3 2TB HDD Capacity Desktop PC Windows 8 H535 (57315466)

It's a bit over your budget, but it's a quad-core processor with decent graphics and a 2TB hard drive. Basically, it has enough power to take care of any photo/video editing (which I assume you do, this being a photography website), and has a ton of storage space to store you photos and videos. :2thumbs:

If you don't go for this specific model, look for anything at your local stores with an AMD A10 processor. They're the bang-for-your-buck processors. They're quad-core and also have pretty decent graphics (better than Intel's integrated graphics).

9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    MicroCenter refurbished Dell tower:

Dell GX755 Windows 7 Professional Desktop Computer Refurbished 676023 - Micro Center

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor 2.4GHz
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
    4GB RAM
    320GB Hard Drive
    DVD-CDRW Combo Drive
    Display Not Included

$269.00, don't know about shipping charges or local tax.

I assume that your old computer has a malfunctioning system board or some such, not just a crashed drive which can be replaced?

Regards,

Jim

10. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I would get online and check the Apple store for a refurbished Mac Mini. It will be slightly higher priced than a Windows tower but I think it would be a better proposition.

11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Thanks Jim,
    It powers down immediately upon startup. The computer repair guy could not find a short or any other easy to find problem. At the prices I pay for computers, they are disposable. I figure I pay around $100 a year to have a PC. I just picked up a homely little clearance model at my local BB for $269.

12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yep, not a bad way to go. I'm in the process of rebuilding an old Dell PowerEdge server - so old that the CMOS battery is dead and the operating system was Server2003 when I 'retired' it to the parts shelf. The plan is to upgrade a few bits and pieces and set it up as a Linux server here at the Swamp.

The capabilities keep going up and the prices keep going down :2thumbs:.

Glad you were able to stick to your budget. Leaves money for a new lens or two :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Yup. I'm ruthlessly thrifty about stuff I don't care about so I can live well beyond my means on the stuff I care about.

14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I can't argue with your computer "business model," Luke. It's definitely a viable way to go as long as what ever machine you buy can handle your photo editing needs. Myself, I tend to go with Apple iMacs, load up the ram and keep them for seven years or so. Plus my iPad, of course. I've been lucky so fair because my iMacs have proven reliable (even when I get rid of them they're still working - they just finally slow down) and my iPad is only 2-1/2 years old. But buying 'em cheap and replacing them every three years works, too.

15. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Both methods work really. I've done both. I used to buy cheap laptops every two years, I'm talking $300 or less, and that worked fine for me for awhile. I bought an iMac about 5 years ago and haven't looked back. It's a larger initial investment but I fell in love with OS X and didn't really want to bother with buying a new computer every few years. Plus the screen is huge and beautiful.

:smile: