1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need a new camera. Need help picking one.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by colbycheese, May 14, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    So as you may know, you can see that i currently have a bunch of lenses and a G3 and EPM-1. I have currently used the G3 and the EPM1 i haven't used in about 6 months. I have some problems now handling the weight of my G3 with mostly legacy lenses. I know legacy lenses are generally heavier, so this is why i want the lightest body possible. Now due to the fact i use legacy glass, I would prefer a camera with this focus peaking feature. I don't want to spend more than 450-500, preferably as close to 450. Now the fact that i live in Canada limits my options. B&H might have good deals for Americans, but once you convert the currency to Canadian and add tax and customs, the price goes up quite a bit. The camera being brand new is not too much of an issue, i could get something used if in good condition. I have decided to some research and i have found out that the GM1 is the lightest (and probably smallest) body current available. Unfortunately the only stores near me sell it with the kit lens, which i most likely wont ever use. They also sell it for a slightly inflated price. I don't want to leave the micro four thirds system due to the fact that i have a bunch of lenses already. Does anyone have any better suggestions? anything that is lighter than 300 grams (body only) should work. Does anyone have any suggestions within the 450-500 dollar range? Cheaper would be even better. I could spend more, but the problem is, I would have to sell both my other cameras and I'm assuming the camera stores wont give me too much. I am honestly not sure what to do at this point.

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm surprised you want anything lighter than a G3 for use with legacy lenses... in my experience tiny bodies are harder to use, not easier, because they're so unwieldy and have tiny grips.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    My take with heavier lenses is the opposite of yours -- to me, I think the heavier lenses mate better with the larger (and heavier) bodies just based on balance of the overall kit. To me, the smallest :mu43: (like the GM, GF and E-PM series) mate best with smaller, lighter lenses. Is there some reason why you're limited to keeping overall weight to the minimum? If so, my advice would generally be to stick to native lenses.

I agree that focus peaking is a very handy feature when using manual focus, but just as important (or more important) to me would be IBIS. Another big differentiator is whether or not you want/need a viewfinder.

Weight notwithstanding, my personal choice would be a used E-M5 or E-M10, which can be found for around $350 or $425 respectively. These prices are in US$ and I'm not exactly sure how they translate to C$. The E-M10 has focus peaking and you can get quasi-peaking on the E-M5 using the Key Line art filter hack. The E-M10 has 3-axis IBIS while the E-M5 has 5-axis.

However, if you are looking for the absolutely smallest/lightest kit, the GM1 is it -- you should be able to find it for around US$325 used. It offers focus peaking, but lacks any sort of in-body stabilization. If you want IBIS in a relatively lightweight body, you could look at an E-PL6, which has 2-axis IBIS but lacks focus peaking. The E-PL6 kits have recently been available (new) for around US$300.

If you wanted to go ULTRA-minimalist, there's the Olympus Air A01 "lens camera". It's officially sold only in Japan for now, but I'm seeing them on eBay for around $450. It weighs less than half what the G3 does, but as far as I know, it doesn't offer IBIS or focus peaking.

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    You'll save 164 gm switching the G3 for a GM1. You'd save a lot more spending your $450 on an Olympus 45/1.8 and a Panasonic 45-200. The 45-200 has a reputation for being a bit soft, but it's at least as good as the Tamron you have and maintains your 200mm reach.

You could save even more weight with the 45-150 if you're willing to give up the 200mm reach.

Fred

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The 45-175 is also nearly half the weight of the 45-200, optically better, and internally focussing. I've seen it go for around $250 these days, as well. That would be my recommendation.

I have (and have had) a few legacy telephotos. The primes are better than the zooms, but both are very frustrating for me. Difficult to focus, soft results, and chromatic aberration. I haven't got around to replacing mine yet (my 14-140mm does most of that work), but eventually I'll scrap them for a 100-300mm or the old 4/3 ZD 70-300mm...