Need a new bag.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by 2112, Jul 10, 2017.

1. 2112

2112 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Hello,

Looking for a new bag to fit my gear is proving harder than buying cameras and lenses.

I have a Promaster Adventure 35 that holds everything I have now:

E-M5 mkII with grip
    17mm 1.8
    45mm 1.8
    12-40mm 2.8
    40-150mm 5.6
    75-300mm

Today my E-P5 and VF-4 comes in, but no room in the bag for it.

Could someone suggest a bag they think would hold everything.

Ty

Mark

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Are you looking for a sling bag or a backpack or a messenger style bag? Do you want room for other stuff or just camera gear? Do you want/need ability for a water bladder? In other words, what are looking for in a bag other then being able to carry all your gear?

3. 2112

2112 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Shoulder bag. No bottle or tablet provisions.

Just camera gear. Outer pockets.

Something that wont break the bank..

Thank you

4. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Well that counts me out. I am a backpack guy and know little about anything that isn't a backpack. Having had many shoulder injuries and several surgeries I find bags that place all the weight on one shoulder to be very uncomfortable so stick to backpacks.

5. 2112

2112 Mu-43 Top Veteran

What backpack would you suggest?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  6. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
  7. 2112

2112 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thank you

8. DocZZZ

DocZZZ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2017
    i just picked up a billingham, expensive yes, but hey the GBP is so low compared to the dollar its a decent deal. especially considering those bags last forever and never get discounted by retailers.

9. ThereAndBackAgain

ThereAndBackAgain Fighting GAS

May 26, 2014
    North Devon, England
    David
    Ebay normally has a few good Billinghams for auction. I paid £120 for my 445 in really excellent condition. They are very durable and because of their traditional construction can be repaired almost indefinitely.

10. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Me too on the Billingham front - I just bought a 445 for £72 on ebay! They're £330 new. Here in the UK it may be easier to find them second hand as they are a UK based company, but they are amazing bags. I also have a f/5.6 bag that I picked up last year which was immaculate and perfect for transporting one body and three lenses with accessories.

Definitely worth a look - I'd suggest an f1.4 or a 335 for what you have to carry. Best way to get a bargain is to search ebay for billingham bags that don't have a model number listed, as there is a good chance they won't get the same level of interest as those who know exactly what they are selling.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    Take a look at the thinktank retrospective bags as well, they come in different sizes. I really like mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 2112

2112 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thanks for all the great info...

I don't plan on carrying this bag around, but to store all my gear in one location and only carry it from the house to the car where I keep a couple of different size messenger bags that I use when out and about and just pull from the larger bag the things I feel I'll need for that walk.

13. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    In that case, consider something a little larger and well paddedlike a vanguard up-rise 38. I use it for just that purpose and rarely to actually carry gear out and about.

14. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I have a Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW just for that. The case will hold a ton of gear and is very well padded, can handle drops and falls out of the Jeep. If I am shooting from the Jeep (or using it as a base of operations) it's the bag I use. I have the older model which in a lot of ways I feel is superior to the new version, not a fan of the material (it's cheaper) or the zipper seals on the new version). Oh, it's also very weather resistant but does also come with a rain cover which I have never needed.

15. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    In that case, why not consider something like a Pelican case? I live in a subtropical area and mold is a constant threat. I bought a Pelican 1510 type case with padded dividers. Put my glass and bodies in there along with some desiccant packs to keep the equipment protected and humidity under control. The case is a little big, but is supposed to meet US carry-on requirements. I keep it at home and use a variety of camera bags for shooting. The Pelican is my storage unit.

BTW, I would not leave the case in the car. Theft is too common around here. Any valuables left in the car is just inviting someone to break your windows and grab your stuff. Even if I go into a restaurant to eat, I take my bag with me. I take what I need for that day in a bag and leave the rest at home. I definitely don't bring everything. If there's something I should have brought, I consider it a lesson learned for next time.

Seems to me that your present bag holds enough for your walk. @Phocal@Phocal has a very good point. Bags with a single strap like messengers and slings, can get uncomfortable when loaded down. Comfort depends on how good the strap is. I use an OpTech SOS strap on my messenger work bag and the stretchy neoprene pad makes it feel lighter and more comfortable. If you're carrying a lot of gear, or trekking out on a hike, a backpack is more comfortable and allows you to carry some non-photo essentials like water, snacks, light rain gear, etc. There are plenty to choose from. Which is good and bad! :)