1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need a mic

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by maxphoto, Oct 1, 2013.

1. maxphoto

maxphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 10, 2011
    New York
    Hi all, I have a GH3 and need a good, inexpensive as possible, and easy to use mic to record video of my parrot talking.
    It would have to work with an extension cable to keep the camera as far away from the subject as possible. He doesn't talk if he knows he's being recorded.
    I don't normally do video, so I need advice on what would work best for this.
    Thanks!

2. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    A Rode Videomic Pro would have no trubble recording a parrot with or without an extencion cable.

3. umii

umii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    uk
    Make sure you get the pro version as above not the normal one I made that mistake, the pro has a +20db option (and the controls are on the outside not micro switches in the battery compartment like the standard one) so you can get the preamps on the GH3 right down to 1 really reduces the hiss. (obviously depending on how loud your parrot is :)) You can drop one of those cheap in line volume controls in-between if you want more granularity of control to lower the mic output, audiophiles will roll in their graves but it works.

There's a stereo and shotgun version the shotgun is mono but sends the signal on both channels to the GH3.

Cheap way to boost the mic signal if you need it is a Fiio Kilimanjaro headphone amplifier in line with the gain and volume up, again not what it's supposed to be used for but you could use a cheap lavalier mic like the ATR3350 direct into the GH3 nicely (works without but you have to have the mic input on the GH3 up high and get hiss.