Need a 4K Photo Mode tutorial

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by webarchitect, Aug 2, 2015.

1. webarchitect

webarchitect Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    I find reviews, anamorphic bits, but not a "start here when you want to get stills from 4k photo mode" on the gh4.

Good links?

2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I can't tell you how to setup the GH4 shoot in 4k, but I've done a little of this with my G7. Pay attention to shutter speed. Video usually wants a bit of blur so that it looks smooth, but stills usually want to be crisp. Lightroom has a good ability to extract stills from the video file. For the G7 the video isn't RAW so I get jpgs out of the video. Other than that, there isn't much too it.
  3. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    The in the camera way of doing it here...... I'd imagine the GH4 is just the same....
  4. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

This is probably the best video I've seen:

When I use 4K Photo mode, I shoot in shutter priority, setting the shutter speed to an appropriate speed for what I'm trying to capture. Fast action is usually at least 1/500th. We would never use anything this fast when shooting video (because of the artifacts it might produce) but remember our end result will be still photos. Once you try it you will be hooked! There is something magical about being able to capture that moment when the birthday candle is flickering and the smile is just right!