Neck Strap Length. Where does yours sit?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by JStheoriginal, Mar 19, 2013.

1. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    I'm trying to figure out what length is ideal for a neck strap. My current strap on my E-620 is 40 inches and sits about over my stomach.

While I've never really had an issue with this length in practice, now that I pay attention, I do find it a bit close and it tends to wobble on my gut.

Is there a better more optimal height that a camera should sit at?
  2. akhyar

akhyar Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 16, 2012
    I'm not sure what is the optimal height but I adjusted the strap to make sure the bottom of the camera doesn't touch my belt.
    I'd rather have the camera wobble on my stomach, at least I know there's some cushion on it... lolz!
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I like 'em long. About hip height. Actually I really like the olympus leather strap fully extended.

You know you could always get an adjustable strap like the Oly or Artisan and Artist straps and try out a few lengths till you get it where you like.

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Hip height. But I usually attach it to a peak designs capture on a backpack strap or belt. No swinging, quick release, and on a shoulder strap pretty much no risk of damage if you slip, as its close to your face and your reflexes are good at protecting said face ;)
  5. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    JStheoriginal, maybe try at home rubber-banding at the back of the strap to see how the camera feels at different heights.

When I bought a non-adjustable from Gordy's, I used string to put the camera where I wanted it and then measured the length.