Neck and Finger Straps (Japanese Page)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by noodlehaus, Apr 4, 2010.

1. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    Here's the link to the Japanese website selling the Neck and FINGER straps:

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/laughs/c/0000000126/

The quality and style is really cool and unique. I'm especially interested in the finger straps.

Anyone happen to have this? Not sure if they ship outside Japan.

2. willo

willo Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 25, 2010
    London
    Nice find, some very nice accessories. Unfortunately it's all in Japanese and it doesn't look like they have an ebay store.

3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    :sad010:very cool , for the japanese the camera is not just a bit of amazing technology but a statement of fashion too , and i say good for them ... thats why so many cool cameras are available in japan that never make it to north america .... sniff

4. back alley

back alley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2010
    interesting way of attaching it to the camera.
    love that finger strap!

5. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    Yes, but interestingly the page says that the color combinations (though not necessarily the physical items) were thought up by some clothes designer living in Seoul.

The designer isn't named and we're not even told if he or she is Korean or
    Japanese or something else.

6. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    It says the product is from Korea (or by a Korean designer) :D I tried and tried googling for other pages that have this product but sadly, it's only available on the japanese website.

Anyone among us fluent in written/spoken japanese? :D

7. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    Sent an inquiry using their site's inquiry button. Hope they respond :D

8. Richard W

Richard W Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    Sydney Australia
    Coolanyard.com sell a digi-grip ring which is the metallic equivalent of this finger strap.

I have no idea if it is any good or not and it certainly isn't as stylish but if you're interested in this type of strap then it may be worth a try.

9. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    ahhhhh, korea well that designers knows a market when he\she smells it ...

anyway Fuji makes some cool machines like the natura series and other s ....epsons digital rangefinder a 6.1 mp camera was revived in 2009 in an "X" version for japan only ... etc still sad in the camera cool impoverished USA where less cool camera stuff finds a home .

best buy, the largest a point of sale electronic retailer in the usa is gonna sell the the e-pL1 , finally micro 4\3 makes it to the big time here .... thats progress i suppose

ts eliot wrote the wasteland......... in other news.........

10. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Neck and Finger straps

I can understand everybody wanting some of these straps etc. but have you thought of trying to make them yourselves? I've just been to my local market and from a stall that does harnesses, saddles and leatherwork I've bought:

2 metres of 5mm diameter genuine leather
    1,5 metres of 13mm wide " "
    50cm of 5mm diameter braided " "
    A 1,20 metre long, 35mm wide genuine leather belt

Total cost: 12€

I intend to try and copy Gordy's sling with neck pad (which I think is a brilliant idea), the lug mount wrist strap (2 models - smooth and braided) and the finger rings from that japanese site. If I make a complete pig's ear of it (but I'm pretty handy) I'll only have wasted some time - and I've got plenty of that! I realize that many of you might not have access to these materials. I'm lucky because I live in an agricultural and farming area and there are still people who cater for farmers.
    I'll let you know how I go on - and will post some photos if the results are worth seeeing!

11. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    Colin, that sounds promising :) Please post photos when you're done!

12. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i love a good project ,

cheers

13. angloasturian

Copy of Gordy's sling

Well, after experimenting with several different ways of making this I've opted for a simple model - but with an important difference - the sling can be opened (you'll see why later)
    First I simply drilled the ends of the strap and put the rings from a spare keyring through the holes.This keyring can be opened.

[​IMG]

Then I attached a snap ring to the camera lug, putting a protector (bit of an old belt) behind it.

[​IMG]

So the sling with the camera looks like this:

[​IMG]

However, I prefer having the camera in a bag rather than bouncing around on my hip - so, open the sling, thread it through the lugs of the bag (that's the reason for the connector - but you have to take one of the rings out of the end of the strap) and the camera sits nicely in the bag....

[​IMG]

but can be pulled out while still attached to the sling.

[​IMG]

I'm using this old Panasonic bag at the moment but will use a bigger one when my adaptors arrive and want to carry more lenses. Obviously this will work with any bag.
    To keep everthing lightweight I carry a monopod which I carry over my shoulder.

[​IMG]

When using I slacken the noose and take it off the end.

[​IMG]

OK. Now for the wrist and finger straps

14. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    great stuff , i love the little addition to the body to protect the area of the camera near the lugs , is that leather cord , where did you find it

15. angloasturian

Wrist strap

Here it is. Again I went for simple. Strip of leather (3€ for 1,50cm) bought in market. I drilled holes at the ends and put one of these screws off an old belt

[​IMG]

then screwed it together with a loop of shoemaker's strong cord round the screw and hiding the knot inside. Couldn't be more simple!
    Cosinaphile - the protector is a bit of an old belt. (it says so in the text above the photo).

16. angloasturian

Wrist strap on camera

Sorry. I forgot to upload this photo.

[​IMG]