Neat find: Text camera

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DeeJayK, May 3, 2012.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Here's an interesting camera that harnesses the power of Amazon's Mechanical Turk to spit out text descriptions (rather than photographs) of the scenes it captures.

[​IMG]

2. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Cool. And it could detect landmarks I guess... or have a sort of AI that remembers things.
    What's the frame rate? Does it have "image" quality settings? You know, the lower literary quality the higher the frame rate... Can it do video?

3. oldoldold

oldoldold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Joe Milan
    so is a picture really worth 1,000 words?

4. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    It's not Artificial Intelligence as much as just Intelligence...the way it works is that the image is displayed to a real person who types up the description. Since the transcriber is chosen more or less at random, there's no memory to consider.

I'm not sure what the frame rate is, but I'd imagine it's fairly decent, though processing the images takes around 5 minutes.

IQ settings would be interesting to consider. I would guess that AMT includes some sort of "quality" assessment of it's users, so you could probably work something out that would send images that you want a more detailed description of to higher rated "turks".

I think video would be a bit of a reach.

My first thought was: what about attaching a Braille printer? You'd have a camera for the blind.

5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Based on the sample images from the website, the average is well south of 1K words. But again, this is just the first model...they could probably ramp that up with version 2.0.