1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ND solution for the Lumix 7-14mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by nickthetasmaniac, Mar 18, 2012.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Hi people :smile:

I'd like to know if anyone has come up with a viable (hand holding in front of the lens isn't 'viable') way of mounting ND filters to the Lumix 7-14? I've caught the day-time long exposure bug with my Nokton 25mm, and I'd like to give it a go with the ultra-wide...

Cheers in advance!

2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I've only ever seen variations of the following solution.

Panasonic 7-14 Filter Revisited: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

....and what it looks like fitted.

Re: Panasonic 7-14 Filter Revisited: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

THIS one though....looks quite neat, and the results look very good.
    From a Japanese website so the translation may be right off....but the images are detailed and fairly self explanatory.

光圈先決下的世界: åˆé»Ž DIY, filter holder for panasonic 7 - 14mm ultra wide lens

...and here is another that follows a similar priciple.

FS: Panasonic 7-14 lens with filter adapter - The GetDPI Photography Forums

I'm going to pickup a 7-14mm shortly (i hope...please contact me if you are selling one) and I will attempt one of the above.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you knew a old guy with a lathe he might be able to knock you up a sleeve out of aluminium that could slide inside the hood and have an internal thread on the front side.

4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    How old are you ? ...and do you have a lathe ? :cool:

Was thinkin' the same Brady, once I get a 'model' made up using a cheapo filter, then i'll give it to someone to machine something up for me with a top grade B+W in it.

But I need the lens first !!

(still looking)

5. Duct tape, a glass cutter, and a tinted window off of a fully pimped Commodore.

• Like Like x 1
  6. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks for the links and suggestions people, I'll do a bit of reading and see if I can figure something out :smile:

I've got a '75 Gemi coupe gathering rust in the backyard, but she ain't got tinted windows... I think I need to work on my Bogan credentials.

7. Well, it's no Torana, but I guess it will do :smile:

8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    ....there aint nothing like doing a bit of 'circle work' with a red commodore.
    Bring back the bogan !

fangin.

9. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    It's not circle work unless you've got steelies on the back with $20 re-treads...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm 22 and yes I have a lathe:smile: But I don't have that lens to make sure I make it the right size.

11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The best solution is to buy an m9-18 zoom and screw the filter in the front!!!

12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    KISS principle applies. Just use gel filters and tape 'em to the lens shade. Simple and weightless.

Be sure to get optically good gels designed to be used with lenses, not gels designed to be used with lights. Using the light gels, though, for experiments is a cheap way to play around and you might find the images to be satisfactory.

I don't know if the hood on that lens is removable or not. If yes, you could also buy another one and modify it so you can epoxy glue it to a square gel "holder or even to a Cokin "P" holder. I would use a belt sander to flatten the tips of the petals, then epoxy glue the hood to the back of the holder. If you don't have a belt sander but do have some patience, you could flatten the tips using a piece of sandpaper face-up on a flat surface. Either way, the critical thing is that all four tips make contact equally. Leave the tips a little rough and sand some roughness into the filter holder. It makes the glue adhere better.

13. p@ul

p@ul Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2011
    Lee makes a filter holder that will fit the 7-14. B&H carries it.

LEE Filters Gel Snap (4x4" Filter Holder) for Lenses GS B&H

"The Gel Snap is Lee's easy and affordable filter holder. Simply insert your 4 x 4" filter, snap it shut, and "snap" it on to any lens 82mm or smaller using the included "Elastomeric Tension Device", also known as an "E.T.D.", i.e, rubber band."

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauls_images/6847049278/" title="Lee gel snap by p@ul's photos, on Flickr"> 6847049278_d92ede0c99. "500" height="500" alt="Lee gel snap"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauls_images/6847049214/" title="LEE filter by p@ul's photos, on Flickr"> 6847049214_04e72369ce. "450" height="450" alt="LEE filter"></a>

14. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    And then screw on two wide angle adapters to the front so you can get down to 7mm. Genius! Hell, you probably don't even need the ND filter after doing that - double bonus!

• Like Like x 1