1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ND, Soft Grad filter and Holder for Oly 12-40 2.8 and Oly 7-14 2.8 ??

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PantelisMor, Mar 26, 2016.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello.

I have OMD with oly 12-40 2.8. I will buyin the future oly 7-14 2.8
    I want to buy Nd and Soft grad filters. A need and Holder foe these.

I would like to hear your Proposals. I need filters and holder for both lenses.

Thx in advance !!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I'm in the same situation and will also appreciate any experiences with these filters/holders on the 7-14mm in particular.

3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    So, you cannot use the smaller filter systems with the 7-14 lenses w/o loosing the edges/corners. So that leaves you with the big square filter systems. And in this case, big = $. The 2 main competitors are probably #1 Lee and #2 Formatt/Hitech. Either way, you're looking at $6-800 just to get started, probably well over $1k for a full set of filters + polarizer to cover various situations.

For lee, something like Adapter + 2 filter kit
    for F/H Adapter + Kit

NOTE: I have not used either of these in conjunction with a 7-14mm... this is just from a google search.

The Lee Seven5 is NOT big enough to cover the pany till 9mm, I've tried... =[

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I use a filter dude holder (found on Amazon) with Haida filters. The other Haida also has a holder, which I wasn't aware of when I bought the filter dude system.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Thx all of you for your. Suggestions.
    So to sum up. I understand that

filters must be 100 mm x 100 mm (HAIDA LEE OR HITECH). (Could these be used with Full Frame camera ??)
    I need a holder like this Haida 100mm metallic holder system (includes a CPL adaptor ring)
    And finally 2 rings, one for oly 12-40 2.8 and one for 7-14 2.8 . Am i right ???

I Think for Haida which suggest pdk42. Has anybody else use these filters ???

Thx

8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Barring the Ultrawide 7-14 issue. I use a cokin A filter holder (universal size) with hitech grads 67mmx85mm or 67x67 square ND. Also use Haida 52mm circular 10 stop filter. I was considering the Panny 7-14mm, but I decided that the 9-18 better fit my needs and takes a 52mm thread and uses my existing filters. For me I'm mainly using the wide for long exposure so the F2.8 isn't critical (and cost). There are other options for the bigger filter for the 7-14 lenses, but not something I wanted to explore. Everything I have now is pocketable, including my Oben TT300 tripod. Both Haida and HiTech give quality results w/o color cast...much less $ than Lee, Singh Ray and the rest, and better than Cokin. The Cokin holder/rings are fine and very inexpensive though...easily found on ebay.

I have a 62mm Haida 10 stop that I no longer need (Fits 12-40mm) , since selling the 12-40 if interested PM me. It's never been used.

9. Troiks

Troiks Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Australia
    Andrew
  10. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
  11. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Not an expert here...but as to FF lenses...doesn't it depend on the lens (mm length) and front element diameter?

12. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    I just wrote two posts related to filter holder for the 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO. The title of that post doesn't really isn't obvious to this topic so I thought I would cross reference - look at Phil Norton photography and NISI (filters). I am quite happy with the solution as will be attested in the posts.

13. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    The Photosphere option seems to be the most economical option apart from building your own holder, which was already tricky for the P7-14 and must be even harder for the larger O7-14. You cannot go below 100mm filters.

14. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The sensor size is irrelevant really. It's all about field of view. A 14mm lens on FF (e.g. the Samyang 14/2.8) will give approx the same FoV as one of our 7-14 zooms at their widest settings. The same filter should suit both (front element size being about the same).

15. Enzojz

Enzojz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2015
    Hello,

Thank you for your attention.

So far the feedback for the 12-40 bayonet adaptor is 100% positive, everyone who bought it like it. Some client bought this after having bought and used my 7-14 filter holder adaptor.

The advantage of this bayonet adaptor is quickness and ease to use with thread CPL when attached. You don't need some super complicated system to do this.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    An old thread resurrected but here goes.

For my micro four thirds bodies, I have the 3 main pro lenses (with others), they being the 12-40 Pro, 40-150 pro and 7-14 Pro.

Been looking at a filter system for the 7-14 and am a little undecided.

I currently have a Lee Seven5 system with soft and hard ND Grads, Little Stopper and Big stopper which are 85mm wide and work just fine on the 12-40 and 40-150 but not on the 7-14.

I also have (from my full frame days), a Lee 100mm system comprising Soft & Hard ND grads, big stopper and Landscape polariser. I notice that NISI now make quite a nice 7-14mm holder, based around their V3 and V5 holders (which are 100mm systems). If I purchased this and started using the 100mm filters (both the Lee and NISI ones), I was told for ND grads that the full size 100mm filters have graduations which are based around FF cameras and not the smaller M4/3, hence Lee developing the Seven5 system with tighter graduations, and so the graduated bands appear quite differently on the smaller sensor cameras ?

Has anyone used 100mm ND grads on M4/3 and can comment on their effectiveness please. I would have assumed that a 100mm hard grad would act like a soft grad on M4/3, with no real substitute for it's soft grad ?

17. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm a bit unsure why there is a need to have different graduations according to sensor size. Surely it's about field of view and not sensor size. If there's a difference for smaller systems I would have thought it's about the lens size and not the sensor size. Confused...!

18. Enzojz

Enzojz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2015
    7-14 it's an exception, HE is quite HARD since the element cover almost 100% the width of the filter.

Since you have both Lee and Nisi holder, you have two choices:

1. My "Zu adapter" for Lee holder: information: "Zu" adapters , you can order is via Shapeways: Adapter Kit II for M.Zuiko 7-14mm / Lee filter hol by enzojz on Shapeways
    2. Phil Norton's adapter for Nisi V5 holder (but it's not Nisi official product) : Olympus 7-14 Pro Adapter: Phil Norton Photography

I think Phil's adapter works equivalently as kit II of my adapter (2 filters and rotatable), but my adapter has a kit pro version which permits you possibly have 3 filters on the holder with 7-14 (3 filter but need keep it horizontal for 7-14).

19. Enzojz

Enzojz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2015
    Actually it's about the front element size, normally FF has bigger front element than 4/3.

20. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea, that's what I would have thought. The 7-14 Pro is pretty big though ! :)