ND Grads for GX7 (and OMD5)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Sootchucker, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Hi guys, having recently started to get into M4/3, I now have 2 bodies and a collection of lenses, and was wondering about getting a set of ND grads and a polariser. The Lee units I use for my D800 are just way overkill and massive on these tiny bodies, so have been looking at alternatives (that don't cost too much).

Problem is that the filter threads on the lenses seem to be all over the place (see below for the lenses I currently have):

Lumix 14-140 II - 58mm

Lumix 12-32 - 37mm

Lumix 14mm F2.5 - 46mm

Lumix 20mm F1.7 II 46mm

Olympus 45mm F1.8 37mm

And that's without the UWA - Olympus 9-18 that I'm looking into getting in a month or so (I believe that one is 52mm).

With that in mind, am I better of looking at something like the Cokin system ? In which case, which would be best (and most future proof) - the Cokin A or B ? Also, with regards to the polariser, on these mirrorless cameras does it matter if the polariser is Linear or Circular ?

2. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    The polarizer has to be circular. A linear polarizer will interfere with the autofocus.
  3. Tom_Chan

Tom_Chan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    I thought for mirror-less using contrast detection it doesn't matter if the polarizer is circular or not... Correct me if I'm wrong.

I bought step up converters from eBay for cheap to use my CPL filter 58mm in diameter. I'm also frustrated at how all of my lenses are of different size... Oh well.
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Cokin have a decent system going, but their actual filters are so so... colour cast on NDs for instance. Apparently HiTech make filters that match the system but much less casting. I've got P system stuff myself, it's a bit large for most m4/3 with threads 58mm and under, but would be better for pro lenses such as the 12-40, Nocticron, etc, with 67mm threads.

As for linear polarisers - my E-M5 worked fine with an old linear polariser I had lying around. I've even played around with stacking a linear and circular to act as a cheap variable ND - the quality was crap but it was an interesting exercise. With so many mirrorless cameras (including the E-M1) getting on chip phase detect though, I probably wouldn't go out and buy linear polarisers...
  5. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    I'm not a heavy filter user so I buy my filters to fit my largest diameter lens and then use that filter with step down rings on all the rest.
  6. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I've used 46 to 37 reduction rings on the 14/2.5 and 20/1.7 without any vignetting at all. Put those rings on (and leave them on) and you can cover 4 of your lenses with just cheap 37mm filters.

If you really want filters on your 14-140 and (future) 9-18, I'd deal with those separately by getting 58mm filters, and a step up ring for the 9-18mm.
  7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Linear works fine, I believe you have been misinformed. Only m43 that may need a circular is E-M1.
  8. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Lee also makes the seven5 set, and the nd gradations are even designed for smaller sensors. I only take a set of the lee seven5s when I know I'm going out to do planned landscapes; what I normally carry is one of two sets of B+W cpl, 5 and 10 stop in 58mm for general use, and 46mm if I just want to take the prime trio. Just go for the largest size you think you'll need, and but step down rings for everything else.
  9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I have a Cokin A set (the B is a round filter that fits into the A holder). Works great for me as I can just get the ring I need for each lens. Actually have a small set up for sale (ended up with three filter holders). Have a black ND grad I can bundle with it if you want. Both the linear and circular polarizers work fine (the linear has a bit more ND to it).

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app
  10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    A circular polarizer is needed for an AF SLR, because the light that goes to the AF sensor is reflected from a mirror, and a mirror reflects polarized light. Depending on the orientation of the polarizer all the light going to the AF sensor could be blocked. No mirror in the light path of a MIRRORLESS camera, no problem with a linear polarizer.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. nickdavias

nickdavias New to Mu-43

Mar 20, 2014
    I'm thinking of buying a set of Lee Seven5 ND Grads, but would like some advice on whether to get the soft or hard grads. I have read on the internet that, because of the smaller lenses and smaller sensor sizes in micro four-thirds cameras, that the hard grads for m4/3 cameras are actually closer to "traditional" soft grads. Is this true, or have Lee taken this into account and "hardened" the graduation in the Seven5 System? FYI, I have a Lumix GX7, and I already have the Lee Seven5 holder and The Big Stopper. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Nick
  12. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Excellent point!

13. bbien

bbien New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2013
    I have the hitech 67mm Colby brown starter kit which is basically cokin a series. The filters for the most part are fine, the nd is a little questionable though, as it doesn't have a grommet to stop light leaks, it hasn't happened to me yet, but I could imagine the problem could crop up. The reverse nd and soft nd are pretty nice and you can always add a 77mm polarizer via adapter. Go for either the linear or circular, I have both but can't really tell the difference, I know that linear is supposed to be better though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk