1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ND Grad Filters Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rbsandor, Apr 11, 2016.

1. rbsandor

rbsandor Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    Denver CO
    I have a set of ND filters that I use on a full frame camera. On the Lee Filter webpage, there is a set of Seven 5 smaller filters (solid and graduated) aimed at mu43 cameras. Lee indicates that the smaller filters have a transition zone in the graduated filters designed for the smaller mu43 sensor. For those who have used the larger size filters on mu43 cameras, have you seem any instances where the grad filters were not doing what you wanted? For those with the Seven 5 filters, do they offer an advantage over the standard size filters and are you happy with them? Thanks, Richard

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I think because the lenses are much smaller diameter there is more of a hard transition required. I did research Lee a while back, but my wallet opted for Hitech and somewhere along the line I found out hard edge were more appropriate than soft edge for the smaller format in most circumstances (seemed counter-intuitive at the time). In practice it makes sense. I did have a cheap set of larger filters and with a soft transition they would not have been very useful (not enough stop differences) for landscape photography.

Not exactly what you're asking, but I suspect it's similar to what hey might be getting at.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. rbsandor

rbsandor Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    Denver CO
    Steve: thanks for taking the time for your reply. It's appreciated. Evidently per Lee, a much smaller transition zone is needed for mu43 sensors.