ND filters, step up rings on 12-45 pro lens

grahng

New to Mu-43
Looking for some advice. My lens has a diameter of 58mm. In order to avoid as much as possible, vignette government,
which size step up ring will work best, 58-72 or 58-77?
Thank you, Jerry

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
I'm not aware of a need to step up. For any well designed, coating-based filter path length vignetting will be negligible. Since path length through the ND is controlled by the angle of view using a step up ring won't make a difference with a dye based ND. If you're referring to mechanical vignetting, I haven't seen any measurements of the 12-45's stack height to vignette or any reports it's sensitive.

However, I don't own the 12-45. So if there are mechanical vignette constraints hopefully someone will mention them. (The 9-18 is a good example of a lens which is mechanically a bit fussy.)

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Lenses will not normally show any vignetting with a filter of their designed size fitted. With wide angle lenses it can be a problem with deeper filters such as many polarisers, but I wouldn't expect 12mm on MFT to be wide enough for this to be an issue.
Again with most lenses that do have issues stepping up to the next standard size will be enough. If a 58mm vignettes a 72mm filter should be more than enough, even allowing 2 filters to be used together. The choice would be more one of which other size filters are wanted for other lenses you use? If you have a lens using 78mm filters stepping to that might be preferable.
My 17mm /2.8 takes 37mm filters, but doesn't show vignetting if I step down to a 25mm filter!

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Since you seem to be ending up with either a 72 or 77mm filter from the 58mm start, I'd go with the larger one. Seems every time I went with the smaller one some lens shows up and I wish I had the larger one. If the lens hood won't go on the larger filter, I just get a collapsible rubber one for the filter size which is easier on setting the lens down on rocks, banging into doors, or whatever. Bigger ones can be hand-held in front of some wide-angle lenses too if needed.

As to vignetting, the editing programs, as well as some on-board in-camera corrections, can fix some darkening of the corners. I often view and cull images in FastRawViewer and it will show the unaltered image and the vignetting, but I can clear it up in DxO Photolab 4 or Exposure X6, Etc.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
I'd go with the larger one.
And, alternate perspective, I wouldn't. This why I've ended up with both 58 and 72 mm ND64s. :laugh:

This thread's prompted me to update the filter size distributions posted 3.5 years ago. One of the early points made in that thread is there's some practical upper bound on how much each of us likes to step up. If it's an experiment or rarely used I don't mind but for regular use 1 cm is about the most I'd want.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
One of the early points made in that thread is there's some practical upper bound on how much each of us likes to step up.

I will also add that one of the misguided assumptions people make is deciding every filter needs to be sized large enough to fit all their lenses. What they often fail to take into account, for a given filter type how likely are you to use it on certain lenses? For example, when going out with your 300/4 PRO lens, for most they are not likely heading out to shoot waterfalls so aren't going to be using that ND64 filter (77mm for that lens) which will slow shutter speed trying to photograph animals. However very likely it would be used at some point on the 12-100 PRO's 72mm filter threads, so better off just getting the 72mm filter and not worrying about the 300 PRO. So even if in the practical upper bound of your personal tolerance for stepping up, would you ever even do it in real life?

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I'm not sure that the OP (@grahng ) understands the point of a step-up ring. You have an EXISTING lens (like your 12-45), and you also have an EXISTING filter. You want to screw that filter onto the front of your lens. So you buy a step-up ring for that filter size (assuming it isn't the correct size already. So, for example, if your lens is 58mm and you have a filter that is say 62mm, you'd but a 58-62mm step-up ring.

As @PakkyT mentions, sometimes people have a large, expensive filter (say a 77mm polarizer). So they might buy a step-up ring for each of the lenses they have to allow them to use that one filter on all their lenses. Or sometimes a person will deliberately buy a filter that is 77mm just to be able to do that with it, even if they don't have any lenses that large. I suppose it's OK, but kind of awkward, IMHO.

If you already understand all this @grahng , my apologies. It just sounded like you don't.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
I'm not sure that the OP (@grahng ) understands the point of a step-up ring. You have an EXISTING lens (like your 12-45), and you also have an EXISTING filter. You want to screw that filter onto the front of your lens. So you buy a step-up ring for that filter size (assuming it isn't the correct size already. So, for example, if your lens is 58mm and you have a filter that is say 62mm, you'd but a 58-62mm step-up ring.
I disagree about that being the only point of a step up ring.
The OP was concerned about vignetting caused by the filter and there are a few cases where that can be a problem & using a step up will solve it.
They can also be useful if you're buying a new lens that takes smaller filters than your current filters, and for lenses that take non standard filters. I have quite a few lenses that have filter threads you rarely get filters of any sort in. If I wanted to fit a filter I didn't have to a fujinon 35mm/1.8 c-mount lens I'd get a stepping ring to bring it to 37mm & buy the filter in that size...
Much of the time a ring will be to link lens & filter you already have, but there are other circumstances that are just as legitimate.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
What they often fail to take into account, for a given filter type how likely are you to use it on certain lenses?
That was what prompted me to start the other thread, typical uses for circular polarizers being wide to tele and NDs ultrawide to normal. In NDs I suspect what usually motivates the larger sizes (at least in a format normalized sense) is the ultrawide end though, unless I've missed a leak, at the moment we know only the 8-18's thread size and not the 8-25's.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I disagree about that being the only point of a step up ring.
The OP was concerned about vignetting caused by the filter and there are a few cases where that can be a problem & using a step up will solve it.
They can also be useful if you're buying a new lens that takes smaller filters than your current filters, and for lenses that take non standard filters. I have quite a few lenses that have filter threads you rarely get filters of any sort in. If I wanted to fit a filter I didn't have to a fujinon 35mm/1.8 c-mount lens I'd get a stepping ring to bring it to 37mm & buy the filter in that size...
Much of the time a ring will be to link lens & filter you already have, but there are other circumstances that are just as legitimate.
I agree with everything you say, but I didn't say "only." I just meant that to consider using a 72 or 77 step-up ring on a 58mm lens (a pretty large boost up) to avoid vignetting, and no mention of the filter size that was going to be used, seemed odd to me.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
This is what happens when you get sundry sizes of filters and lenses. Gets worse in time when one finds you need two or three rings to get there plus the filter, then find the stack of rings vignette so you buy another single-step ring to get to the filter. Get one large filter and work up to it. I thought 77mm as on the 300mm f/4 Pro lens would be my end-all filter size, but Nikon decided to jump up to 82mm now. Ugh!

Step-rings.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
This is what happens when you get sundry sizes of filters and lenses. Gets worse in time when one finds you need two or three rings to get there plus the filter, then find the stack of rings vignette so you buy another single-step ring to get to the filter. Get one large filter and work up to it. I thought 77mm as on the 300mm f/4 Pro lens would be my end-all filter size, but Nikon decided to jump up to 82mm now. Ugh!
Some of my lenses give a choice of sizes a small one at the back (which must be the exact size) or a BIG one at the front - one of them would want a 95mm filter at the front.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom