1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nd filters, Glass.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by hitman21988, Sep 12, 2014.

1. hitman21988

hitman21988 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2013
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    It depends on what you really want. The simplest ND is a screw on filter, which most likely will suffice for the majority of photography. Variable ND filters are a bit of a mixed bag and, nowadays, with HDR capability in software, may not be all that necessary. The main thing to be aware of is that not all ND filters are made to exacting standards and this is one area where price is often a determining factor. If you want possibly the best in ND, then B&W filters are a clear choice. But whatever you do, don't buy from the bargain bin.

3. hitman21988

Jan 4, 2013
    ya, well i dont want to do the screw on type that are either 1 stop or 2 stop or can go from 1-10 for example. because im about to take a trip and i wanna be able to change what area gets affected by the ND filter. For example the sun bright because i need to expose for the ground so i put the glass on so i can cut down the light. example what you would do in light room with the grad. filter. I just wanna be able to do it on sight and not in post production.

4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    It depends on what systems you have. If have only m4/3 and are planning on a wide angle. I'd highly suggest Cokin P, and using singh ray and a couple specific cokin filters. The singh ray ND's aren't too expensive, and they really do cause the least amount image degradation. If you don't plan on the ultra wides, specifically under 12mm might as well get the cokin A size and use only singh rays, as the A sizes are really affordable at that size.

5. hitman21988

Jan 4, 2013
    well the most wide ill be able to go with my current lenses i have is 12mm(24mm). Could you link me one or two of the ones you were saying? single ray?? not familiar with that term.

6. hitman21988

Jan 4, 2013
  7. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    http://www.singh-ray.com/
    They're a smaller company that makes high end filters. Known for the polarizers, and ND's that have no color shift or very specific color shifts. Frankly, you won't find a better polarizer. And anyone using m4/3 and doing landscape work should be using them as that is literally one of the best features of the system, Singh ray filters are affordable at smaller sizes. The cokin holders I specifically suggest because singh ray has sprocketed CPL's that insert into them and work great. Lee holders are kind of scary to be putting your shiny new expensive singh ray CPL in.

8. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system-seven5

9. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I just got a set of Hitech ND grads from amazon and took them on my trip. They work pretty well. Cokin P are much bigger. The hitech's fit in the Cokin A filter (you can get one for $5 on ebay). These are much smaller and fit in a small pocket and are meant for M43 sized camera lenses. They are on sale now for less than $40 for a 3 ND Grad kit. No color cast.

http://www.amazon.com/Formatt-Hitech-67x85mm-2-67x3-35-Neutral-Density/dp/B00A3MGVIK/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1410528358&sr=8-11&keywords=hitech+85mm+filter+kit

I got the hard edge, because I read they are better for telephoto....but they have soft edge kits too...as well as other things like sunset.

I got a kit with sunset, blue filter and twilight by accident and got a refund and kept the filters. They have some usefulness too.

I learned about HItech from other posters on this site. Much cheaper than Lee/Singh ray.

10. hitman21988

Jan 4, 2013
    i like the lee filters but im having trouble finding a dealer for them. do b and h carry lee filters?

11. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    B&H as well as Adorama carry the Lee filter brand.

12. hitman21988

Jan 4, 2013
    B and h said it could take a couple weeks to ship out. So I guess I'll check the other place when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

13. gingergirl

gingergirl Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I've purchased Lee filters several times from 2filter.com.