ND filter

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tohara, Jun 30, 2012.

1. tohara

tohara Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    CAn anyone recommend to me a good quality ND filter I can use with my 25 1.4 to shoot wide open in the middle of the day. 1/4000 is very limiting here in sunny Qld. I bought this lens for the dof so while stopping down will obviously help i think an nd is what I need. I'm guessing 2 stops is a good starting point.
  2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    To shoot at f1.4 in bright sun you need at least 3 stops ND filter but better 4 stops as even 3 stops often not enough. This is because most Oly m43 cams can't shoot at ISO100. I like Hoya Pro 1 series ND16 (4 stops) but it's 52mm filter thread (will need a step up ring). Moreover if you want to shoot proper portraits in the sun you need to use fill flash. To overcome flash sync limitation I use 6-stop ND filter.
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
  4. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Schneider has a terrific reputation for quality filters. In my experience, Singh-Ray is also an excellent choice.
  5. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I'm very happy with my Fader II variable ND. I got the 52mm version to use on my mz12-50 and mz9-18, and have a step-down ring for the PL25.
  6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    2 stops won't be enough. I like hitech filters for slowing it down, to throw another on out there. If you want o go overkill there's always Lee and singh ray. I rather like singh ray products,and if you really plan on doing this kind of shot alot they're worth it.
  7. tohara

tohara Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    I don't want to have to fiddle with slot in filters. I've been down that path before and i never used them. I'm looking for something i can leave on the lens at all times. This isn't for landscapes or the like.
  8. michaeln

michaeln Guest

I couldn't agree more. The square / rectangular filters that go in the slotted holder are just too fiddly for me. I had Singh Ray and HiTech filters and holders for my DSLRs and never used them, too much hassle.

I wish the mfgs would make internal ND filters for these cameras. I understand why they have trouble at HIGH ISOs, but I have never understood why they couldn't reduce the sensitivity to allow you to take a nominal ISO 160 sensor and run it at ISO 80, or 40, or 20, or 10. That would take the place of any ND filters I might need.
  9. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    The Fader MkII looks nice. How exactly does it work?
  10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Made with two polarizers mounted back to back.

Personally, I would rather get a couple single glass ND filters of a good quality of different stops. Good glass in faders cost more than two filters amd reasonably priced faders often have questionable quality glass. There is a large selection of ND filters at all sorts of prices. Faders will also use two glass panes at all times. I also dont find the difference between the fader and two ND filters really no big deal when it comes to cinvenience.

I recommend on deciding on a single larger and commen filter size and using step up rings to adapt to all sorts of lenses of different filter sizes. My personal choice are B+W 3-stop and a 10-stop. I found the need to have filtering from 1 all the way to 8 stop overkill. For your needs you will need to examine which two ND filters suit your needs... probably a 6stop.