1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

ND filter

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tohara, Jun 30, 2012.

1. tohara

tohara Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    CAn anyone recommend to me a good quality ND filter I can use with my 25 1.4 to shoot wide open in the middle of the day. 1/4000 is very limiting here in sunny Qld. I bought this lens for the dof so while stopping down will obviously help i think an nd is what I need. I'm guessing 2 stops is a good starting point.

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    To shoot at f1.4 in bright sun you need at least 3 stops ND filter but better 4 stops as even 3 stops often not enough. This is because most Oly m43 cams can't shoot at ISO100. I like Hoya Pro 1 series ND16 (4 stops) but it's 52mm filter thread (will need a step up ring). Moreover if you want to shoot proper portraits in the sun you need to use fill flash. To overcome flash sync limitation I use 6-stop ND filter.

3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
  4. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Schneider has a terrific reputation for quality filters. In my experience, Singh-Ray is also an excellent choice.

5. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I'm very happy with my Fader II variable ND. I got the 52mm version to use on my mz12-50 and mz9-18, and have a step-down ring for the PL25.

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    2 stops won't be enough. I like hitech filters for slowing it down, to throw another on out there. If you want o go overkill there's always Lee and singh ray. I rather like singh ray products,and if you really plan on doing this kind of shot alot they're worth it.

7. tohara

tohara Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    I don't want to have to fiddle with slot in filters. I've been down that path before and i never used them. I'm looking for something i can leave on the lens at all times. This isn't for landscapes or the like.

8. michaeln

michaeln Guest

I couldn't agree more. The square / rectangular filters that go in the slotted holder are just too fiddly for me. I had Singh Ray and HiTech filters and holders for my DSLRs and never used them, too much hassle.

I wish the mfgs would make internal ND filters for these cameras. I understand why they have trouble at HIGH ISOs, but I have never understood why they couldn't reduce the sensitivity to allow you to take a nominal ISO 160 sensor and run it at ISO 80, or 40, or 20, or 10. That would take the place of any ND filters I might need.

9. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    The Fader MkII looks nice. How exactly does it work?

10. Made with two polarizers mounted back to back.

Personally, I would rather get a couple single glass ND filters of a good quality of different stops. Good glass in faders cost more than two filters amd reasonably priced faders often have questionable quality glass. There is a large selection of ND filters at all sorts of prices. Faders will also use two glass panes at all times. I also dont find the difference between the fader and two ND filters really no big deal when it comes to cinvenience.

I recommend on deciding on a single larger and commen filter size and using step up rings to adapt to all sorts of lenses of different filter sizes. My personal choice are B+W 3-stop and a 10-stop. I found the need to have filtering from 1 all the way to 8 stop overkill. For your needs you will need to examine which two ND filters suit your needs... probably a 6stop.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.