ND filter for Olympus 45mm f1.8?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Gusnyc, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York

I am waiting for the Oly 45mm any moment now. I wonder, what would it be a good ND filter to shoot outdoors in cloudy and in a sunny day, wide open? Would I need two ND "levels", one for each situation?

I am sorry about my lack of technical terminology. I just have a year using this kind of cameras, I am learning all the time (especially the lesson about "this is becoming an expensive hobby"). :)

Thanks for your answers!

2. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    First you have to decide on what type of ND filter you would like to have.

Solid or Graduated (if graduated, gradual or hard transition)

Then you need to decide on how many stops of density you want 1, 2, 3..

For Sunny exposure.. you might want or need a 3-5 stop version if you shooting a lot of horizon type scenes at the beach trying to catch sunrises/sunsets etc. Depends if you are planning on using a Polarizer as well as that will also cut light as well.

For cloudy days, are you trying to capture cloud detail of storm like clouds etc or trying to even out exposure or trying long exposures ..??

Maybe, show us examples of the type of scenes you see yourself using a ND filter and maybe we can help out narrow down your choices.

Do you intend on using any other filters stacked i.e. UV Haze, Polarizer etc.?
  3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If you have a polarizer, you can use it in the interim as a "cheapo" ND filter. Kinda. It does block a bit of light so you will probably get a maybe a 1 stop reduction...

I'm assuming you want to shoot portraiture outdoors in bright light, so a solid ND filter will be better than a graduated filter.

I got a 0.6 nd filter a month ago in anticipation of the 45mm (2 stops) :biggrin: