1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ND Filter for Olympus 45mm f/1.8?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Heavy Doody, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    I'm looking for a good quality ND filter to go with the lens listed in the subject. Not looking for cottonball waterfalls. Looking for just enough stops to be able to shoot at ISO 200, f/1.8 on a brights, sunny day.

Any suggestions?

2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Inmost cases you should be OK with a polarizing filter. They eat about 1 1/2 f stops which means 1/4000 at f/1.8 and ISO 200 in bright sun light with only slight overexposure.
    An ND3 would be a safer bet, but I find the polarizer the better option, since it also works as a polarizer:tongue:
    Rudy

3. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    Interesting idea. Thanks.

I've never really worked with polarizers. I've always been under the impression that their primary function was to eliminate glare (water, for example), which I don't do, so I haven't spent a lot of time with them. In fact, the only time I've ever used them is when I combine two to create a variable ND.

Are there any downsides to shooting portraits with them? I'm always outside, but usually in the shade. Always have at least one flash on the subject.

Thanks again.

4. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    Nam
    I have ND8 "glue" on my 45 and 75 so I can shoot wide open all the time here in sunny California. A polarizer tend to saturate the skin tone to my experience.

5. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I purchased a Vivitar ND8 filter for the lens when I had it, but never ended up using it. If you need a cheap one, I'm selling it used on Amazon as I sold my Oly 45 a while ago. Apologies for the shameless plug.

6. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I didn't get a polarizer for the 45mm, figuring I wouldn't be using it all that much; and figuring the neutral density would be used a lot. B + W and Heliopan feature brass rings that help prevent binding.

B + W Not multi-coated:

B+W 37mm 0.9 ND 103 Filter 65-045593 B&H Photo Video

B + W Multi-coated

B+W 37mm (MC) (75/P) #103 (ND 0.9) FILTER 66-1070627 B&H Photo

in the B&H site, you can search on Filter, be presented with basic types, click those links, then drill down using the options on the left of the page. (mm; stops; make, etc.)