1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

ND filter for Olympus 12mm

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by bozer, Apr 4, 2013.

1. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    Hey,

Looking to take some long exposures on the beach when I take a trip soon. Can anyone recommend a good filter? I have not been able to find a good one on Amazon but its entirely possible I don't know what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    How long is long for you?

In full sun, cloudy?

I own a 8x ND and am about to buy a 3.0 (10 stops) for use on my O9-18. That's as dark as they make.

I have the O12 which I use for low light & night shots.

If you want to get 10 sec or longer exposure in full daylight, you'll have to stack 2 filters (assuming min. ISO of 200 & F16). Haven't tried that on the O12 so don't know if it will vignette, the O9-18 certainly would @ 9mm.

Hoya standard filters tend to be as slim as special slim filters.

3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Heliopan are very good ones and I use 10 stop one .
    Cheers

4. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    I've never done long exposures on the beach before. I'm looking to take a crack at trying to get the ocean to look creamy. Not sure what to get. I will probably try in the daytime and at night. I have no experience with this, which is why I'm going to start trying. If you could link me to the one I should get on Amazon, that would be fantastic.

5. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Have a read. Hope this helps.

"The Ultimate Guide To Neutral Density Filters" by Peter Hill | Redbubble

I purchased a 46-52mm step-up ring and a 52mm Hoya ND400 (9 stop). I use a wide-angle hood with 46mm center-pinch cap on the 12mm. See: New 52mm Wide Angle Metal Lens Hood for Canon Nikon | eBay

Works great on my O12mm, Sigma 30mm (use a deeper hood for the 30mm) and any other 46mm filter thread... At 52mm filter threads each, the filter also fits my P14-45mm, P45-150mm. Might want to think about this if you have a lot of 46mm and 52mm filter threads.

woof

6. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    Hah. I did read that and my head exploded. Too much info. I just want someone to link me to the filter to get for my Olympus 12mm =)

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If you don't need an extremely long exposure ... I'd start with a polarizing filter, you'll get 2-3 stops of light reduction and it can also be used to reduce/eliminate glare from highly reflective surfaces, darken the sky, et cetera.

Gary

8. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    Thanks, I actually have a Hoya polarizer I've yet to really use. I'll try that. Appreciate everyones suggestions here.

9. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Apologies. All of the filters mentioned in that article are likely available on Amazon. I would not presume to tell you what you need. Be aware that using a very strong ND filter such as a 9 or 10 stop ND in broad daylight does take some knowledge.

That said, Gary's suggestion of using a Polarizing filter, especially to get started, is a good one.

Kind regards,

woof

10. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    If your goal is creamy water surface @ the ocean, another option you could try is multiple exposures on a single frame - see p. 62 of your manual.

You're limited to 3 frames but if you cut the light enough to give 1-5 sec. exposures each, you may be able to get smooth looking water. I haven't tried this.

I hope you paid attention to the photos in the filter guide as your head was blowing up. To get creamy water at the ocean takes exposures >15 sec. That's what I've found too. In full sun w/ min. ISO of 200 & apertures in the f8-f16 range will require 2 filters that add up to 13-16 stops.

Using step-up rings to mount 52mm filters as suggested above may be required w/ 2 filters to prevent vignetting.

11. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    FYI

Just stuck 2 52mm filters on both the O12mm & O9-18mm. Couldn't see any vignetting in the VF with either.

12. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    removed.

13. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
  14. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    B&W makes good filters. Should work fine.

15. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    Thanks again all