ND filter for Olympus 12mm

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by bozer, Apr 4, 2013.

1. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    Hey,

Looking to take some long exposures on the beach when I take a trip soon. Can anyone recommend a good filter? I have not been able to find a good one on Amazon but its entirely possible I don't know what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    How long is long for you?

In full sun, cloudy?

I own a 8x ND and am about to buy a 3.0 (10 stops) for use on my O9-18. That's as dark as they make.

I have the O12 which I use for low light & night shots.

If you want to get 10 sec or longer exposure in full daylight, you'll have to stack 2 filters (assuming min. ISO of 200 & F16). Haven't tried that on the O12 so don't know if it will vignette, the O9-18 certainly would @ 9mm.

Hoya standard filters tend to be as slim as special slim filters.

3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Heliopan are very good ones and I use 10 stop one .
    Cheers

4. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    I've never done long exposures on the beach before. I'm looking to take a crack at trying to get the ocean to look creamy. Not sure what to get. I will probably try in the daytime and at night. I have no experience with this, which is why I'm going to start trying. If you could link me to the one I should get on Amazon, that would be fantastic.

5. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Have a read. Hope this helps.

"The Ultimate Guide To Neutral Density Filters" by Peter Hill | Redbubble

I purchased a 46-52mm step-up ring and a 52mm Hoya ND400 (9 stop). I use a wide-angle hood with 46mm center-pinch cap on the 12mm. See: New 52mm Wide Angle Metal Lens Hood for Canon Nikon | eBay

Works great on my O12mm, Sigma 30mm (use a deeper hood for the 30mm) and any other 46mm filter thread... At 52mm filter threads each, the filter also fits my P14-45mm, P45-150mm. Might want to think about this if you have a lot of 46mm and 52mm filter threads.

woof

6. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    Hah. I did read that and my head exploded. Too much info. I just want someone to link me to the filter to get for my Olympus 12mm =)

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If you don't need an extremely long exposure ... I'd start with a polarizing filter, you'll get 2-3 stops of light reduction and it can also be used to reduce/eliminate glare from highly reflective surfaces, darken the sky, et cetera.

Gary

8. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    Thanks, I actually have a Hoya polarizer I've yet to really use. I'll try that. Appreciate everyones suggestions here.

9. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Apologies. All of the filters mentioned in that article are likely available on Amazon. I would not presume to tell you what you need. Be aware that using a very strong ND filter such as a 9 or 10 stop ND in broad daylight does take some knowledge.

That said, Gary's suggestion of using a Polarizing filter, especially to get started, is a good one.

Kind regards,

woof

10. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    If your goal is creamy water surface @ the ocean, another option you could try is multiple exposures on a single frame - see p. 62 of your manual.

You're limited to 3 frames but if you cut the light enough to give 1-5 sec. exposures each, you may be able to get smooth looking water. I haven't tried this.

I hope you paid attention to the photos in the filter guide as your head was blowing up. To get creamy water at the ocean takes exposures >15 sec. That's what I've found too. In full sun w/ min. ISO of 200 & apertures in the f8-f16 range will require 2 filters that add up to 13-16 stops.

Using step-up rings to mount 52mm filters as suggested above may be required w/ 2 filters to prevent vignetting.

11. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    FYI

Just stuck 2 52mm filters on both the O12mm & O9-18mm. Couldn't see any vignetting in the VF with either.

12. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    removed.

13. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
  14. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    B&W makes good filters. Should work fine.

15. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    Thanks again all