1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ND Filter for ED 7-14mm f4

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by OzRay, Jun 1, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    For those looking for a solution to filters on their ED7-14mm f4 lens, then here is something that I tried today.

30.5mm ND8 filter:
    nd1.jpg

Rear of 7-14mm:
    nd2.jpg

Filter placed over rear element (contacts are well clear):
    nd3.jpg

MMF-2 (or MMF-3) placed over lens, with filter held inside quite comfortably:
    nd4.jpg

Unfortunately, the camera won't AF until the lens is at least at 10mm and the resulting images are very fuzzy off-centre, which I suspect is due to the cheap filter I got off eBay. In any case, this option does work and offers an easy solution to the attachment of filters that requires no modifications when it comes to this lens. All I now have to do is see if I can find a quality filter.

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I've just confirmed that the filter is just acrylic and probably the cause of the distortion. I thought being a Cokin filter that it may have been of better quality, but I guess in this instance, I got what I paid for.

3. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
  4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I saw that gel option some time ago, but don't really like its implementation. I'm trying something different again, as glass filters are so hard to find (at a reasonable price), and now just have to wait for the first component to arrive so I can tell if it is feasible.