ND filter for bright daylight shooting?

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
I want to take some of the light out of my daylight shots mostly when shooting wide open with my primes to get better DOF on certain subjects.

I have read that a lot use ND8 filters for this, but would like to hear what others may use or suggest.

Also thoughts on Variable ND filters..

Thank you

Last edited:

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Variable ND filters do work, but they're more expensive than standard ND filters, and you must pay careful attention to the strength to avoid the cross polarization issue.

Personally, if you're shooting at f/2, then a 3-stop ND filter should be more than enough to bring the shutter speed down.

magIBIS

Mu-43 Veteran
I agree with #ijm5012 - if you look for best quality. If you have one specific scenario with quite constant light conditions, you can do the math and pic one or two filters, that have little color cast (haida, Hoya are value for money - but check the tests at lenstip).
If you feel overwhelmed by the many arguments, math and swapping without knowing - go for a cheap variable one with optical glass and enjoy experimenting over calculating, like #Clint suggests and I do now
The good thing is - you will know, what works for you and then maybe go for the right set later. The variable nd will still be very useful for video or you can sell it.
I went for the Ritz by the way, because it had good reviews on a video-site.
Amazon.com : Ritz Gear™ 62mm Premium HD MC Fader ND Filter With SCHOTT OPTICAL GLASS : Camera & Photo

BleedingGumsMurphy

Mu-43 Veteran
Try one of these before buying something expensive.
There is also the cheap Fotga variable ND filter. Seen good and bad reviews. Tested it the other day and it didn't have terrible affects to the image, it just went slightly more yellow/brown, like with sunglasses. I did notice a little lost detail, but had to pixel peep for it. Still want to test it more but I think it will replace my ND8 filters which I previously assumed would be better (if on a budget), which are very limiting.

Perhaps it really depends on what one is shooting? I usually shoot in Asia on the street or tropical landscapes, so the Fotga's color is acceptable as it is like adding a touch of tempertaure to the image, which I often do anyway for that golden hour look. There are Youtube tests with really expensive ones which drastically change the color in various ways like red or blue. So paying more in this case is not necessarily going to mean a better filter.

Therefore I think Clint's suggestion is a good idea first (or the Fotga, which may even be the same one rebranded). Because if they do work for you then you can get one for each lens size. Rather than an expensive highly rated one like the SLR Magic, which you would just get in a large one size fits all, then deal with the inconvenience and bulk of step up rings.

The other night I tried videoing a sunset with the Fotga and turned the filter to brighter as it got darker. Wasn't perfect as it was my first try, but if you have a steady hand it might be an easy skill to pick up. Plus it saves one having to look at buying cine lenses if you do video.

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
A lot of great info here... Thanks everyone.

I did purchase a cheap round ND filter for my 17mm 1.8 and also a cheap set of slide in grad. filters to try out. If I like using them then I'll upgrade to something better..

Latest threads

Top Bottom