1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ND Filter for 25mm

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by coastlineamps, May 2, 2013.

1. coastlineamps

coastlineamps Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 25, 2013
    I see most people use a 3 stop ND filter for their Pana 25mm. Is this suitable for daylight pictures at an amusement park capturing stills?

I also like to capture some fireworks display in a nice effect. Will the 3 stop still be good for this situation?

2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    In my experience I've found a 2 stop to be a little more versatile overall. A 3 stop ND filter is great for the brightest part of the day when light is at it's very brightest, but I've found that in the early or late period of the day, when light isn't quite so bright, 3 stops is just a just a little TOO much light blocking power.

Depends of course what you intend to do. Do you want just the 1 filter for all (most) occasions or are you planning to eventually pick up several filters of varying strengths ?

3. Printfolio

Printfolio Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    Kortrijk, Belgium
    Steven
    I've been looking into this as well. Interesting subject. Thanks for asking the question. I'm looking for a ND especially for my 45mm and they're quite hard to find in 37mm filter thread AND silver coloured.

4. coastlineamps

coastlineamps Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 25, 2013
    More looking toward one filter. I still like to enjoy the time with family without changing filters for certain occasions.

5. szanda

szanda Mu-43 Regular

I have no experience with those, so this tip serve as question as well, what about variable ND filters like this one , are they any good?

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
  7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    If you are after a variable, look at the LightCraft Fader ND mkII.
    I don't use it for stills but rather as suggested above, to better control shutter speed in varying light conditions to get smoother video. Shooting video is a very rare thing for me, but once in a while I do shoot small family events...it's nice to have such a filter on those days because switching from indoors to outdoors throughout the day doesn't require a change of filter.

The filter I mentioned above is quite well regarded by all reports.
    No complaints from me.

Good luck.