ND Filter for 12-40 PRO

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by gilo9652, Jun 12, 2015.

1. gilo9652

gilo9652 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    I want to get a variable HOYA but recently read there are some issues with some X shape you get in the frame. Other option is to get a fixed ND HOYA.

Since I'm not experienced with ND, i forward this question for those who are and can advice.

Thank you very much, I appreciate you taking to time to help,

2. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I tried a variable ND and was not at all happy with the results. Skies tended to be mottled in areas. I dumped it in my ever growing unused gear box and bought a set of quality fixed ND filters and have been happy since.
  3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    I'm not a fan of variable ND filters either.
  4. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Don't get a variable. I use a 77mm screw in ND filter (10 stop and a 6 stop) with a step up ring. I went for the larger size for potential future proofing
  5. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    It's very simple for still photos get a fixed and grad nds. For videos get a variable nd.
  6. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Variable ND filters are essentially 2 polarized filters joined together which is what makes artifacts in photos. It's a little different for video. I tend to put B+W solid ND filters to cut the light. I also stack a 3 stop and a 6 stop to get 9 stops if needed. It's good for firework trails, motion trails, and waterfall photos. I don't recommend stacking more than 2 filters since there can be vignetting.
  7. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    B+W 62mm 1.8 ND MRC 106M Filter from B&H or Adorama. It does 6 stop light reduction.
  8. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    What applications do you want the filter for? I think variable might be more convenient for use with a flash but solid is probably better for everything else.

...adding: I guess variable is also good for video, at least that's who seems to use them.
  9. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    I use Hoya and Marumi variable density filters but mainly to slow down my shutter speed for silky effects of flowing water or to allow use of larger apertures during the day. The X thing is a problem at or beyond max darkness or if the 2 filters are not synced properly as compared to the scale. Can be seen easily on the evd and corrected. Pretty happy with them.
  10. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Good review of VND filters. You can also compare the user reviews at B&H. The Tiffen VND looks like a contender.

11. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014

Classic use of a strong ND is to increase the exposure time to blur the flow of water in a stream, waterfall, or at the beach.
  12. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Look a Hadia filters...excellent quality, easy on the wallet. I bought the one for the 12-40 and a step down ring so it would work with my 25, 45 an 75.

Mid day, full sun. EM1 12-40 @ 28mm f/13 6seconds w/Hadia 10 stop ND.
  13. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
  14. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    I use Haida Slim 6 stop and 10 stop. Love it. I bought 77mm then a step down ring to use on the 12-40.

At 12mm, there is very slight vignette, but nothing that +2 in lightroom vignette option doesn't fix