ND filter 10 vignette problem

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Hoddydod, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Hoddydod

Hoddydod New to Mu-43

Oct 18, 2016
    I'm thinking of buying a ND10 (circular) and have been researching the subject and see that vignetting can be a problem. If I buy a filter latger than I need and use an adapting ring will that reduce the problem?

Also any recommendations as to which make? I'm looking at a Tiffen as a probable purchase.

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Get a Haida (ebay). They are good. Minimal issues. You can correct any vignetting in post, but it's not a major issue and no color cast w/Haida.

3. Wes Coleman

Wes Coleman Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Wes Coleman
    I've had good luck with my Hoya 10-stop. Very little vignetting even at 12mm on my 12-40.

4. Hoddydod

Hoddydod New to Mu-43

Oct 18, 2016
    Thanks both

5. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    I have a 62mm Hoya 9-stop for use with my Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8. Like Wes, I've not noticed any vignetting at 12mm.

6. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Allan
    I use a NiSi 10 stopper bought from eBay along with some Rangers ND2-16 filters.
    No colour casting and no problems with vignetting with a 14 mm lens. I use it with 46, 52 and 58mm step up rings. 58mm is my largest filter size.
    I also use an Hoya CPL. when used together ie cpl, 10stopper and a graduated ND filter - no colour case or vignette.

7. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I agree with @Wisertime@Wisertime, Haida makes some excellent filters that are far more reasonably priced than Hoya or B+W. I own their 3, 6, & 10 stop filters in 58mm screw-in as well as 100mm slot-in, and a strong variable ND for shooting video.

I don't regret purchasing them for a second.

8. junkyardsparkle

junkyardsparkle Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2016
    Bummin' around SoCal
    Using a larger filter is unlikely to help, since the problem is that the light further from center is going through more glass, because it's at more of an angle. Some vignetting with a wide-angle is pretty much inevitable. For serious purposes, this vignetting can be corrected in software reasonably well if you shoot RAW, provided there's a minimum of color cast, since correcting a changing color cast is a more difficult problem than correcting a simple brightness value. I have the thin version of the Haida 10-stopper, and it (or my copy, at least) has less color cast than my Hoya 1-stop, for whatever that's worth... it's impressively neutral. Here's a shot through it with the Oly 12/2 at f/8, and a comparison shot without it, for your evaluation. f2260730_01. f2260728_01.