1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ND and UV filters (Breakthrough Photography on Kickstarter)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by TassieFig, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    • Like Like x 2
  2. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    TassieFig,

Thanks for the info. I committed to the X2 UV+ X2 ND level. It looks to be a very good design. Hopefully they will meet their goal and get their product on to the market.

3. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Looks interesting. Too bad they don't do 43mm, as that would have been perfect for the LX100 (and there are some concerns about step up adapters on the LX100)

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looks cool, but a lens filter puller and a couple Ebay B+W filters are probably cheaper! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  5. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
  6. DWhite

DWhite Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2013
    David
    The timing was good for me. I was less than happy with my Variable ND filter and was looking to get a pair of good quality 3- and 6-stop NDs to replace it. These look great and I signed up for the X3 versions.

The CPL looks interesting too; but I've already stretched the budget to get the NDs and my Marumi CPL already works great.

7. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    Fellow Mu43 members,

I contributed and finally requested my two 62mm X2 filters, a UV and ND6. I only received the UV one and thought the other one was in the mail. I made an inquiry to their customer service 3 weeks later and was treated rather poorly. They've lost my business at this point. Here is the text of our exchange - read it from the bottom up to keep in in chronological order:

Graham,

I’m dismayed by your approach to my request and your attitude. Your first reply was the one with a poor tone insinuating that I was attempting a ruse. It seems that you think your shipping process is infallible and that your Kickstarter supporters are not worth giving the benefit of the doubt to. I and many others took a chance on an unknown company and management team and bought into their dream of making a better product at a reasonable price for photographers that care about their craft. All I had was the description of the product along with the backstory on its creation and progress posted at the time I bought in. I contributed and was ready to accept that Breakthrough might fail due to the logistics involved in creating your product and bringing it to market. If you succeeded I would have a great product at value pricing. I did not anticipate that you would succeed at the production side but fail so miserably on the customer service side. You fired yourself and lost the opportunity to gain a loyal lifelong customer. You also lost the opportunity to be recommended to my fellow photography friends and forum mates. I can go elsewhere to buy filters – they may not even be as good but at least I won’t be treated so poorly.

Take a step back, take a look at your customer service and fix it before you cause irreparable harm to your business, your customers and ultimately your dream.

Sincerely,

-felipe

From: Breakthrough Photography [mailto:breakthroughphotographyteam@gmail.com]
    Sent: Friday, May 15, 2015 5:03 AM
    To: Felipe Vidal
    Subject: RE: Tracking link for your Breakthrough Photography order

Graham_Clark_Photographer.

Graham Clark (Breakthrough Photography)

May 15, 02:03

Hey Felipe,

Firstly, I don't appreciate your tone.

Secondly, we reserve the right to fire unreasonable customers.

You're fired.

Graham

Felipe Vidal

May 14, 12:25

Graham,

The delay came in waiting for the other piece to arrive. I don’t do photography for a living. It’s a hobby and sadly does not get the attention I’d like to give it. I didn’t need the filters right away as I still don’t own the lens they are intended for. I gave it attention when I figured it was time to put filter ring size adapters on them to use with my existing lenses which are smaller (micro four thirds) since waiting to buy the nice lens (12-40mm 2.8 Pro) they would go on would take quite some time longer.

I can assure you that the package came as a single filter box in a small white bubble pack envelope. I did weigh the X2 UV filter in its unopened box and found it’s just under 4 ounces. I believe your numbers and that your system says that I was shipped two filters by weight but it’s incorrect. It is possible that my label was put on the wrong package of a single X2 filter. No system in infallible. I’ve had Amazon ship me the wrong product on a couple of occasions over the last 12 years.

I expect this to be resolved by sending the specified X2 ND6 62mm filter. I hope you can find your way to resolving this customer service issue.

Sincerely,

-felipe

Graham_Clark_Photographer.

Graham Clark (Breakthrough Photography)

May 12, 22:58

Hello Felipe,

We looked into it and our outbound weight as measured by our scale is 9oz, each filter box weights about 4.

How is it possible that the scale weight was for two filters yet you received only one?

Why are you bringing this up 3 weeks after the fact?

I look forward to your prompt response.

Graham

Felipe Vidal

May 12, 19:26

Hello,

Last month I placed the order from my Kickstarter-based purchase. I received the UV filter but not the ND filter. I figured it was backordered and just waited. Looking at the shipment info in the email your shipping system sent it looks like the ND was packed in the same shipment with the UV filter but it wasn’t. Please look into the issue and remediate as necessary.

I’m looking forward to trying out the ND filter to experiment with some starter long-exposure photography.

I look forward to a prompt resolution.

Sincerely,

-felipe

From: Breakthrough Photography [mailto:support@breakthrough.photography]
    Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 9:23 PM
    To: Felipe Vidal
    Subject: Tracking link for your Breakthrough Photography order

Hello Felipe Vidal,

Tracking: 9400111899562981269084

Your order (...) was shipped via USPS, USPS First Class Mail on 4/21/2015. You can track your package at any time using the link below.

This shipment includes the following:

Item #
    Description
    Qty

X2-ND6-62MM
    X2 Neutral Density

X2-UV-62MM
    X2 UV

We shipped this order to the following address:

Felipe Vidal
    (...redacted...)

If you have questions click here (...redacted...) to visit the site and catch us on live chat, or respond to this email and we'll get back to you.

We're looking forward to your order delivering and hearing what you have to think.

Happy shooting,

Breakthrough Team

Breakthrough Photography

Email: support@breakthrough.photography

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 4
  8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    d0a.

Don't mean to make light of your situation, but I agree that is atrocious customer service.

• Like Like x 4
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They reserve the right to fire customers so unreasonable as to ask for their products to be shipped? What a tool. Look at all the ill will he created over the cost of an ND filter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

Ha!

Very sad for your personal experience but you can take great comfort in the fact that your airing here will ensure they have no business of mine - or many others I guess.

What a dickhead they have in Customer Relations. I wonder if the rest of them know?!

• Like Like x 2
  11. tkbslc

He's the OWNER!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

Jeez. Enough said. Don't buy shares anyone.

13. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I'm still waiting for my ND and CPL filters.

14. Wandering Aengus

Wandering Aengus Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Quite simply atrocious customer service. Unbelievable that they would choose this kind of attitude for a startup in today's cut throat market.

• Like Like x 2
  16. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Wow! Does he think he is Donald Trump or something? You should send the email exchange to Kickstarter and let them know that they stiffed you. I am sure Kickstarter will take a dim view of their customer service and pressure the company to do something.

17. Wandering Aengus

Mar 23, 2012
    A lot of comments about "customer service" here.

A customer is someone that orders / buys something and receives / leaves with the thing.

A backer is someone that invests money in some venture, usually with the hope of a return on the investment.

A victim is someone that pays for something and never receives it.

Which of the above description applies to the Kickstarter experience? I think it is intended to be the second one. I think it sometimes turns out to be the third. I don't think the first applies.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  18. tkbslc

Well either way it is discouraging me from being a "real" customer via their actual website.

19. Wandering Aengus

Mar 23, 2012
    I am sort of curious what Kickstarter's policy on something like this is. Do they get active in complaint resolution, or is it pretty much a " you invest it, you risk it" stance?

20. tkbslc

I thinks it's all a gamble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.