NCD! OM-D E-M5 MARK II and some questions!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chilly_valve, Jun 19, 2017.

1. chilly_valve

chilly_valve New to Mu-43

Jun 19, 2017
    Singapore
    Hi folks! New Camera Day for me! Just joined this forum and still reading how to properly use this cam. So my wife gave me an advance father's day gift and I'm sooo happy with this OMD Mark 5 II! I had my Nikon D60 for the longest time and that thing has served me well for family and kids photos but it is obviously very old (has issues) and not really that responsive anymore.

So far, I'm really loving it... I'm just a hobbyist but I find this mini cam very responsive, has a very image stabilization and the zoom capability and white balance is amazing! :bowdown:

Anyhow, pardon me for the noobness of my question but:

1. I noticed that the viewfinder colors are not the same as the screen. Will this be fixed with the firmware update?
    2. I had a Nikkor 50mm 1.4 which I really loved for portrait shots.
    > Which adapter should I purchase to make it compatible with my Mark 5?
    3. What other good and affordable lens from Olympus that can give me that blurred background?

Thanks in advance!

2. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    Congrats on your new camera! I love my E-M5 II. To answer your questions:

1) The viewfinder is a different screen type (OLED) than the rear screen (LCD), so the colors will be different. OLED (viewfinder) colors should be more accurate than LCD.
    2) Not sure - someone else can chime in.
    3) You are actually not restricted to Olympus lenses - other manufacturers of lenses for micro four thirds include Panasonic, sigma, rokinon, voigtlander, and others. Many of these can provide blurred background. What focal length are you looking for?

Some autofocus lenses off the top of my head that can provide decent subject isolation:
    - Panasonic 25mm f/1.7
    - Olympus 25mm f/1.8
    - Olympus 25mm f/1.2
    - Panasonic 25mm f/1.4
    - Sigma 30mm f/1.4
    - Olympus 45mm f/1.8
    - Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7
    - Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2
    - Sigma 60mm f/2.8
    - Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro
    - Olympus 75mm f/1.8

Have fun!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    • Wow Wow x 1
  4. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Also there is a speed booster version which means that your 50mm f1.4 will have a FOV of 50x1.42=71mm and gain in light making it f1.
    METABONES - MB_SPNFG-M43-BM1 Nikon G - Micro 4/3 Speed Boo Visual Impact
    There has been a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of adapting this way with a booster in the nifty fifty range on here, search the forum for more info. The speed booster won't get you the FOV you want from the 50 you like so much and its an expensive way to adapt so you might want to reconsider your nifty fifty options.
    FYI a normal adapter would increase your 50 FOV to 100mm.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JamesD172

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    In FF terms, yes. But OP was using a D60 previously, which is APS-C I believe. So on m43, his 50mm will have the FOV of a 75mm on APS-C

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Oh yeah, without checking what sensor the D60 had i just assumed, this kind of thing always happens lol.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I would honestly look at selling your Nikon 50mm. There are no adapters with autofocus for Nikon lenses so it would always be manual focus only. If you want to go adapted with manual focus pick up some old manual focus lenses, will be a much better focusing situation. Not familiar with your lens but if it doesn't have an aperture ring then you will either be stuck shooting wide-open or using one of those adapters with a built in aperture mechanizim (have never used one but can't believe they work all that well).

To maintain the FoV you are use to you need a 35mm or so, your 50mm on your D60 gives you an effective 75mm (m4/3 has a 2x crop factor). The closes and cheapest would be the Sigma 30mm f2.8 but it will not give a thin DoF. When you say affordable what to you is affordable?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hi @chilly_valve@chilly_valve welcome to mu-43 and even moreso to the em5mkii clan! You're going to really enjoy it here as I have for the past year since moving from Nikon (D700) last October! The folks here are super! lots of great info and no put-downs on noobiness or equipment we may or may not have (or are) using.!

It wasn't one of your questions but if you're looking to dive deeper into the em5mkii menu system I would highly recommend John Greengo's Creative Live Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II Fast Start course (33 video lessons). It's on now at $29 and is a great resource for learning the ins and outs of the em5mkii.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    First, welcome to the forum! Second, congratulations on your step up in the world. ;)

About the 50mm, the major considerations have already been aired. I have a Fotodiox Nikon F-mount (G lens) to m43 adapter and it works well enough. It's not always as convenient to use as the same manufacturer's OM-D to m43 but this is directly attributable to the lenses, not the adapter. Nikon D glass (which you would not have bought) tend to be manual focus lenses retooled for AF (less drag on the focus ring, perhaps a mite too sensitive). Consequently, along with the aperture ring, they are relatively easy to use, at least not too much different than OM-D. Nikon AF-S lenses, on the other hand, are poor performers when it comes to manual focus - this is central to Phocal's very valid point. I had hoped to use my Nikkor 70-300 AF-S G but found it well-nigh unusable in any semi-dynamic situation. The adapter's aperture control is not well defined but the camera's metering is more than competent enough. Be aware that, through any adapter, the camera will not allow you to focus and compose with the lens wide open and then stop down automatically when you shoot. If you insist on doing that, you will subsequently need to achieve your desired aperture manually for each frame. This takes your workflow back to before the Nikon F.

As far as background blur goes, there seem to be few duds in the native lenses when used well. Before making a choice, go through the lens-specific forums here and threads such as this one. Doing so should help you acquire a lens you find truly satisfactory.

I would be careful not to conflate any blur with pleasant blur or with thin depth of field. Look at the photos you took with your 50mm that you like in this regard and evaluate them for the particular conditions and results and see if you can find similar situations in the showcase threads. Ultimately, it has to be your choice. There are plenty of resources here that can be of help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee Subscribing Member

May 3, 2013
    California
    You may have "S-OVF" enabled -- it's a setting for the electronic viewfinder that attempts to simulate the look of an optical viewfinder. In my experience, the main difference is that the white balance matches reality vs. corrects for reality.

You can disable S-OVF in the menu. Menu > Gears icon > J: Built-in EVF > S-OVF

I use a lot of adapted lenses, but don't have experience with Nikon F-mount. Looks like there are a bunch of adapters (see: Amazon) that do F-mount to Micro 4/3. Some modern Nikon/Canon lenses are operated entirely electronically, so you'll have to take care to find an adapter that allows all functions of the lens to work (autofocus, aperture, maybe even stabilization). These electronic adapters are not cheap, probably more expensive than your 50mm lens.

However, if your lens is an older manual lens, you can get a cheap ~$15 F-mount adapter. I personally love using all-manual lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  11. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    The aperture ring works well on my adapter, after all its only using the same lever that the camera body would of used. Actually its click-less so you have full control.
    With wide lenses you can't trust the infinity focus of the lens but since the lens you are adapting is more likely to be a lens with full manual controls and depth scale you get used to knowing where it is, apart from that I can't complain because the adapted combo is not really for demanding work IMO, it's more for the enjoyment of using your old lenses again.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Welcome to m43. Like you, I switched from Nikon a couple of years ago and I'll add that I find my m43 gear a lot of fun to use.

Lots of good advice already. I will just add a quick suggestion for this. I expect that with the D60 you have the 50/1.4G lens which is selling for $300 (or more) on eBay. For this same price, you can pick up the new Sigma 30/1.4 which will give you slightly wider field of view as compared to the 50mm on your D60, but is an excellent lens at a great price.

I had the 50/1.4G briefly when I shot Nikon and from what I remember, it needed to be stopped down to f/2 before it got sharp. I think that you will notice this if you adapt to m43. Most native m43 lenses are already very sharp wide open. If you do want to use the Nikon lens, I have had good experience with K&F Concepts adapters, both with or without the aperture ring. The aperture ring is very close to the body though and I found it kludgy to use. I eventually sold my G lenses and have only held on to an older 50/1.8D from my Nikon film days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. roelwillems

roelwillems Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Roel Willems
    Welcome to m43!

It has been stated before and I couldn't agree more. In my opinion you should always let Field of view be the major factor in lens choice. If you like 75mm you could end up dislike 100mm if you adapted the lens (the 50 1.4 adapted on m43).

One challenge will be finding a comparative FoV as 75mm isn't very standard (on m43 this would translate to 37.5mm which isn't available as an prime).

To get (reasonably) close to the 75mm FoV look in to the sigma 30 2.8 as others already stated (although this will not give you the same background blurring capabilities and the FOV is slightly wider at 60mm). You could also look in to 35mm (mitakon 0.95 / SLR magic 1.4) albeit both expensive and manual only they deliver great blurring capabilities very close to the field of view of your liking.
    Or look in to the Olympus 45 1.8 which is a bit longer (45mm which translates to 90mm Field of view) but comes at great value for money (certainly if you look for one second hand).

Long story short, my recommendation would be to look for a lens in the Field of view you already know you like and explore your options from there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    These two that James recommended would be your best bet i think.

• Like Like x 1
  15. chilly_valve

Jun 19, 2017
    Singapore
    Thank you very much for the warm welcome! I now feel at home here... and please pardon me if I'm really a noob and does not really understand any of the terminologies yet. I just know that I use and adjust Aperture/ White Balance for most of my shots. :doh:

Anyhow, my bad, the lens that I was referring to is actually Sigma 50mm F1.4 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM review

If the adaptor or mounting lens is too expensive, what is the nearest similar Lens that's auto-focus that will not really break the bank, is it Olympus 45mm f/1.8? Just a regular enthusiast here and taking mostly photos my guitars and small daughters.
    :th_salute:

16. chilly_valve

Jun 19, 2017
    Singapore
    Additional question. is it really a MUST to update the firmware? I read some horror stories here that they bricked their unit/ lens after updating! :shakehead:

I mean I'm not really an advance user yet so I dunno if I'm going to gain anything when I update my unit.

17. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    As others have mentioned, to duplicate your Nikon/Sigma experience you would need a 37.5mm lens and these are pretty thin on the ground. So, yes, the O45 is similar. It's a wonderful lens. If you ever had to back away to get a daughter or guitar in the frame, you'll need to back further away with a 45. On the other hand, you might find being a bit further away helpful in capturing more candid moments. Or you could go the other way and look at a Sigma 30. Judge by how much extra uninteresting space you felt forced to include in your D60 photos.

• Like Like x 2
  18. roelwillems

roelwillems Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Roel Willems
    I would recommend updating.

If you follow the instructies for updating it won't be a problem (so make sure that the battery is full and don't disconnect before the update is done and the camera says it's ok to disconnect).

• Like Like x 1
  19. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I'll save you a lot of time.

Get the Sigma 18-35 1.8. They have Nikon and canon mounts. Nikon will be cheaper bc there is no af nor contact information. If you go Canon rouute as I have you have more options. I chose the mb speedbooster ultra .71x. You get full af and contact information.

It's a bit more pricey but it's the only lens you'll ever need but love dearly (I might pick up the 50-100 ).

Only downside is weight and size, but honestly I don't even notice it anymore.

I have gone through too many great lenses only to be disappointed in switching them out and losing/missing shots. This works best for me. Think about what and how you shoot.

The Sigma 18-35 1.8 becomes a 13-25 1.2! Wow!

Good luck and welcome.

Btw I'm still running on the original firmware so you don't have to update. Everything works great just like the first day I received it.

Both of these shots are wide open (I use this lens wide open 99.9% of the time with amazing results). This is to show you the zoom difference. First one take at 13mm widest and the second at 25mm zoomed all the way in. Even at 13mm the bokeh is beautiful and separates the subject.

P5181686. P5181689.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    • Wow Wow x 1
  20. JamesD172

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    Kind of goes against the m43 ethos though, doesn't it?