Nauticam Announces NA-GH2 Underwater Housing for Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yesterday, Nauticam announced the NA-GH2 - a new, high quality, rugged aluminum underwater housing for the Panasonic GH2.

5797944412_f230f972fa.

Specifications
    · Depth Rating: 100m
    · Dimensions: 192mm x 105mm x156mm
    · Weight: 1.3kg (3 lbs)

USA Retail Price: $2100

Estimated Shipping Date: June 10, 2011

5797944690_7ff48c2aab.

More information is available from Nauticam USA at Nauticam USA.

USA Dealer List: Where to Buy « Nauticam USA

[via Photo Rumors]

• Like Like x 1
  2. cvwood

cvwood Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    That is one sexy U/W housing! Why, oh, why must you cost soooo much? Oh, well, guess I should start hooking!

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It is, isn't it? I had the same reaction to the product and also the price :eek:.

Regardless, it's good to see the support for our system :2thumbs:.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    I wish they would make UW housings that cost less than the camera itself...

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've never bought an underwater housing for a camera, but from what I recall, my usual reaction to the price of underwater housing is :eek:.

6. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I heard about this and was shocked at the price. They should call it the Naughty Cam....

7. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard

Well, that would depend on what you were doing under the water....

8. Robert Spoecker

Robert Spoecker Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2010
    I know little about finances, having made a mess of my own but isn't it supply and demand?

How many GH2s are sold for every under water housing? I bet it's a lot and the engineering and manufacturing costs must be paid somehow. Besides, how expensive is SCUBA diving?

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If I had the money to buy it, I'd take a vacation where I could use it and buy a disposable underwater cam. But image in the great shots you'd get with the GH2 underwater. And also, I wonder.....if the expensive housing fails, do they buy you a new camera?

10. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I'm not real surprised but that's only because I've gotten over it when I saw the pricing of an underwater housing for an LX3. It was something insane, like $1500, 3-4 times the price of the camera.

Would have been nice if they added a few mirrors to redirect that EVF into a second EVF built into the case.

11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DuaneO

DuaneO Mu-43 Rookie

May 19, 2011
    The camera is showing in Long Beach, CA this weekend; I plan to stop by the show and see the unit itself. I understand they spent a ton of engineering dollars to keep those switches water tight. If you look at it, it's a fully functional underwater camera, with a removal lens system, that is water tight. (The lenses must be changed above water dry of course...).

My friend works for a dive shop, and they are excited to see this system come out.

What makes this different, most UW camera housing's are limited to what options you can use with you camera. Meaning you cannot review a picture of use the menu system to alter you camera.

The level of this device is very much like the Nikos camera system Nikon developed back in the 60's-80's for film camera systems.

Yes it's expensive, but most UW equipment is expensive, since it must operate at depths, with out fail.

13. Phil B

Phil B Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    UK
    Sorry, but I don't really agree with that statement. While a few are slightly limited, I'm pretty sure that all the important features for underwater photography are available on most underwater housings. They just wouldn't sell otherwise, would they?

Not being able to review your photo? Unless it is a super-cheap housing, I have never seen one that doesn't allow you to review your photos. On my holiday to egypt this year, there were several photographers on board with many different makes and models, from P&S to DSLRs. After each dive we all looked at each others work whilst still in the housings, many of us altering settings as needed. A few of us found it was the cameras features that were the limiting factor, not the housings.

My Fuji F100fd housing allowed every feature of the camera to be used, I've just got the Olympus housing for my E-PL1 and that allows all camera controls to be used. Neither housing would be classed as top-of-the-range for the cameras they match.

14. Phil B

Phil B Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    UK
    If only! Underwater housing prep is like surgery, I was paranoid over my F100 which isn't expensive. I don't know how some guys take their expensive DSLRs under. Descending the first couple of meters is all about bubble and water checks :smile:

15. DuaneO

DuaneO Mu-43 Rookie

May 19, 2011
    I have been diving since 1974. Over that time, I have had four UW systems, and all have had limited access to controls. Mainly, the leak factor for the controls have been a concern.

I would agree placing an expensive camera under water is a risk. And I have flooded a rather expensive Video camera once, and let me tell you, saltwater is fast in killing electronics.

Nikos were one of the most famous, they did allow for full controls. Recently, more and more UW housing have offered better controls. But again, there are some options were where being water tight vs. the controls are the factor.

I did visit the show, and go figure the new GH2 housing was not there. I understand it was being walked around the show to show to possible dive shops for resale.

From what I can gather, folks at the show thought it was a little high for the value. But time will pass and the costs will go down.

Sorry no pictures to show the unit.

16. Phil B

Phil B Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    UK
    You've been diving the same length of time I've been alive :eek:

Different experiences, different opinions. I guess these days we are more spoilt for choice with cameras and housings.

When I was looking at the housing for the e-pl1, one store in the UK was selling it for £510. After some searching I found a place that took orders and passed them onto Olympus, carrying no stock themselves. It cost me £199, even at that price they must have some profit/commission from the sale. When the housing came, the delivery note was from the shop that was selling it for £510. So, at least £306 profit!

Have you any photos to share? It'd be great to see them if you have :smile:

17. jeremyv10

jeremyv10 New to Mu-43

May 9, 2011
    Generally the pricier UW housing also have flash circuitry to control external flashes as well as the button/switch waterproofing issue that drives up the cost. Many recent housings have full TTL control of the external flash. If you've gone deeper than snorkel depth you know how quick you eat up light at depth, so those external flashes are indispensable (& also cost quite a bit :smile:).

All the failures I have seen or heard of have been operator error, not an issue with the housing, but I will admit to having a little fear every time I descend.

• Like Like x 1