1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Natural, Vivid, What go you use and why?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by F/Stop, Apr 14, 2013.

1. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    What preset do you use for your photographs? Natural, vivid , muted ,etc.. I personally use natural, although i feel as if Natural looks a little dull (Saturation and color wise) so i think i will switch to vivid. I always find my self adjusting saturation in my pictures when using natural.

please post what you use and why..:2thumbs:

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I shoot RAW so my preset does not get applied to the photograph.

I use Muted because, according to Pekka Potka, it's supposed to be a bit more accurate to real life colours and it's the best option when it comes to metering, since the meter works off the in-camera JPEG conversion used for the viewfinder/screen display.

I rarely add saturation or vibrance in my processing. If I do end up adjusting saturation, it's usually for a single colour only and done in Lightroom's HSL panel using the targeted adjustment tool. I'm actually much more likely to adjust tonality of a colour by adjusting its luminance rather than saturation but usually I do little of either unless I'm working with a black and white conversion in which case I often go to town with luminance in order to get the tonal balance I want.

3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
  4. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    It was my understanding that it was still applied to raw files ? In this case disregard my comments. Ooops

5. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    For general photography I use Natural, but I dial the saturation down -1 in both Natural and Portrait - found colors a bit too much straight from camera. I, too, agree Muted gives the most natural colors, and does not look "muted" at all to me.

6. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    A RAW file is written from whatever light hits the sensor. Lightroom, Viewer 3 and other processor programs link your camera settings to the RAW file, but they are not applied unless you request it in processing.

RAW is raw. Nothing is applied.

7. Judderman62

Judderman62 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Mike
    raw ....always raw

8. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    When I shot jpg, I always used vivid because I love very saturated pictures. Something many don't like. haha

9. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    This explains the overall look of raw files from my em5. Pardon my ignorance. Never shot entirely in RAW until I got the omd.

10. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Natural/vivid depending on the situation, although I will give muted a go following advice earlier in this thread.

11. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Olympus Viewer links to your camera settings and can apply them or change them to a different option. As far as I know, other programs don't. They don't have details of the processing Olympus uses for those settings and the ART filters so they can't apply them, even on request and I know there's no option for requesting them in Lightroom 4,nor in Aperture 3.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There's nothing wrong with increasing Saturation in post after capturing in Natural. If you know what you're doing with post-production software then you may be able to do it more accurately, effectively, and with less destruction than in-camera processing. It all depends on individual skill level as well as personal preference.

13. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Some camera setting are brought into LR (like WB) when shooting raw ... not sure exactly what other settings are brought in to LR. Sure would like to know ...

14. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Raw and adjust in processing

15. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I shoot RAW and Vivid. The free Olympus Viewer 3.0 program gives me the option to save the image as a jpeg "As Shot" (still as a Vivid) or to instantly convert it to a Natural or even to a Muted.
    Top photo is Vivid, bottom Natural. In this particular case even the Natural jpeg looks pretty Vivid and vibrant (shot today in Auburn, Calif., with Olympus E-PL1 & 14-42mm kit lens)
    vivifu.
    natif.

16. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Natural or Muted or Portrait as appropriate, for me, and RAW + JPEG in case I don't like the jpeg, although I typically do.

17. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    For non-people photos, vivid for overcast weather, natural for sunny weather.
    For people pictures, natural.

18. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Per Pekka Potka's ETTR, I shoot RAW but set the camera to muted, screen to natural. To me, it seems to make the image look much more realistic. :smile:

19. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    I'm not very good with Olympus Viewer, and I don't have LR yet. So, I shoot JPEG+RAW and use I-Enhance. So far, I'm pretty satisfied.

If I'm not happy with the colors, I can always do basic JPEG tweaks in Picasa, or try my hand on the RAW file.

I definitely haven't figured out how to get satisfactory results in the Tone Curve adjustment. Because of that, I generally look to the GRADATION parameter in the JPEG color profiles. I configure I-Enhance and Portrait with AUTO, and leave everything else with Normal Gradation.

If I had more time, or LR4, I would shoot RAW only. But I just don't have the time.

20. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I'm on i-Enhance and leave it there. RAW doesn't matter anyways, JPEG mostly looks fine to me.